Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Questions about feeding...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by jeannie, May 31, 2010.

1. jeannie

jeannie PetForums Newbie

Buddy and Rosie are eight weeks old and when they came to me they had been fed on Bakers but I've gradually changed them over to Chudleys as that is what I fed to my previous two dogs and they were fine on it. Is Chudleys considered a 'good' food?

I soften their food with water, at what age can they be given it dry and do I need to introduce this gradually by adding less water?

I've noticed that when she is eating, Rosie shakes and trembles until she has finished and then it stops. As far as I know, nothing has happened to upset her when eating and she wolfs her food down, so could it just be that she is excited about being fed?

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Firstly congrats on the new additions, pictures please!

Here's a link to a review site a lot of people here use to check ingredients and such for the food they're feeding.

Dry dog food alphabetical index - kibble starting by A

Check chudleys out on there, I've never even heard of it so can't comment.

When I got Novak he was 8 weeks and had dry food right away, he wadn't keen on it though, so you may find your two are the same.

Bless, sorry, I've no idea what could be the cause of Rosie's shakes, it could be excitement. Bailey is 9 months and still goes mental at feeding times, he does this matrix style twirl jump lol.

If you're worried about it, give the vet a quick call and see what they think.

3. jeannie

jeannie PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply and the link - I'll have a proper look later when I've a little more time.

They are going to the vet tomorrow to be checked over and have their first injections etc, so I'll ask about Rosie's shaking then. It's only when she eats and she really seems to enjoy her food.:)

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hello Jeanie.Its good that the pups toileting has improved on the chudleys,its much better than what they were on.
    Which chudleys are you using?
    We all have different opinions on dog foods and all our dogs do well on different foods.You can go to so many lengths looking into the foods and whether they suit your dogs etc.
    There are alot of good quality foods out there,iv tried my lot on most of them at some point but mine seem to do better on a cheaper brand food(CSJ),and are thriving,so im happy with that.
    Alot of farmers' dogs and working dogs eat chudleys,an old friend of mine swore by it,but it does contain alot of fillers.If you are happy with the food and your dogs are happy,thats all that matters. If you feel you want to give them a more expensive food,there are lots of threads on what everyone uses and you will get lots of good suggestions :)

5. jeannie

jeannie PetForums Newbie

Hi Bearpaw, they are on the Chudleys Puppy at the moment. It was recommended to me by a friend who has Springer Spaniels and it suited my other two dogs. The bag I've got will probably last quite a while but I'm looking into maybe changing it as they get older. The cheaper the better really but I still want it to be good for them. Most of the dog foods mentioned on here I'd never heard of before but I suppose that's because I've not seen them in the supermarkets.

6. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Alot of the foods are only available either direct from suppliers,online or at good pet/food stores.so it will be worth spending a bit of time looking at places near to you that supply dog foods.We are all always happy to help with any you see you are unsure of,just ask away! Alot of petshop foods are full of fillers with very little nutritional value,even pet shops and vets will reccommend some big names,but from experience alot of us on here know theyre not all theyre cracked up to be.Make sure your vet doesnt badger you into buying what they get commission on!! tell them you will consider it and go away and look at all the options.

7. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Rule of thumb sadly is uper market bought dog foods are pants. I've yet to see a food in any super market that could be considered even half decent.

Thankfully there are alternatives that usually work out cheaper. I fed Skinners duck and rice before changing to raw, not the greatest food at all, but decent and it suited my dogs. And it's only £18 per 15kg sack. It's all about finding a balance, but most importantly finding what suits the dog.

8. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

Dodson and Horrel are the makers of chudleighs and are a very old firm that have been around for many many years.
    I have used this kibble and had no problem with it except slightly more filler than I would like for my dogs....but thats just me.
    If your 2 pups are doing ok with it...then I would stick with it at the present time as pups get upset tums very quickly with change of foods.
    There will be plenty of time to change food at a later date believe me.;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice