UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when malkie is running with other dogs he has a tendency to growl and jump up on them and try to grab the back of their necks with his teeth. now looking at him i dont think he is being aggressive just being too playful rough. what does anyone else think . is he being aggressive? how do i stop him?thanks :)

·
Still missing my boys
42,329 Posts
Unless we could see him it would be impossible for us to say.
What breed is he and what age?
Different breeds of dog play in very different ways.

·
Still missing my boys
42,329 Posts
A lot of the terriers like to play rough. That's all I can say really without seeing it.

Do the other dogs yelp or seem to object at all?

It might be worth posting a bit on the training section to see if anyone can come up with anything to calm him down a little

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they dont yelp but they will tell him off if he keeps annoying them which i let them. i just dont know whether to say to other owners he is just playing or whether to stop him.

·
Still missing my boys
42,329 Posts
I think I'd be inclined to tell the owners beforehand that he can get a bit rough and let them decide if they want him playing with their dog.
He's not much more than a pup yet so still needs to learn self control. He won't do that if you pull him away all the time.
On the other hand, you don't want him injuring another dog or being attacked himself

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
I would tell the other owner that he is rough in play and growls,
1) so they can decide if they want your dog to play with theres
2) so that you can make sure thier dog is quite tollarant and the play doesn't end up with your dog being bitten.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Ginge is a terrier and does it when she is playing, I would think you are doing the right thing as long as you warn and step in if other dogs don't like it. She has a patterdalexJRT she plays with, he does the same (he also snaps his teeth constantly and sneezes when he's playing too :)) but then another friends two terrier cross are completely different. The girl will not play with Ginge at all as she doesn't like her place as 'botherer of brother' being taken over and the brother loves to play with both of them but only to a certain point, I guess him and his sister have their own rules which they understand but I do have to step in with Ginge as she doesn't listen to him.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I think that, as others have said, speak to the other owners first and then keep a watch to ensure that both dogs are still enjoying it. Kilo will only play so much with a rough lab puppy here - he often tells him off but returns to play. The signs he is not happy are not returning to play after telling the pup off or standing stock still and ignoring him when a telling off hasn't worked. I wish the lab's owner would take their puppy away when he is still jumping on Kilo who is clearly becoming irritated, so I usually take Kilo away. I'd say just be vigilant and remove your dog if the other dog becomes unhappy and has it's warnings ignored.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I was confused because he seems to love other dogs but takes it too far

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.