Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Question re. spaying

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tiggertots, May 15, 2010.

1. Tiggertots

Tiggertots PetForums Senior

Well Nala is due to get spayed this month as that's her turning 6months old. I'm a little nervous about this, as it's a more complicated procedure and a longer recovery time etc. As we have only ever had male cats before, I was wondering how long you would suggest I try and be at home for after getting her spayed. I'll be at uni for 3 days of the week so was thinking of getting her spayed on a Thursday, that way I can be home at all times with her until Monday. Is this a long enough time or should I get my OH to take a few holidays too? Also, does Tigger and Simba have to be kept away from her, to avoid them going near her stitches? :confused:

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello! I got Millie spayed on a Friday so that we could be with her over the weekend. Well, she got home and was fine after a good night's sleep. You will be surprised how quickly your cat will bounce back from this.

Millie didn't have any visible stitches, so didn't have to wear a cone thank god. She licked the operation site when she got home but then left it alone. We didn't isolate her from our boys.

So from my experience I would say you don't need to take off more than a day - if that!

There are quite a few on here though that have had their girl spayed recently; hopefully they will be along soon for more advice!

3. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

My cat had to wear a buster/cone collar for 10days as she just would not leave her stitches alone but my other cat didn't seem at all interested in them, but I still seperated them for the first few days when I went out, I just made sure she wouldn't get wedged anywhere, but she was fine and back to herself the day after the op.

She will be fine but it doesn't stop you from worrying and the wait for the phone call from the vets is worst.

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

OMG, isn't it just!

5. Tiggertots

Such little time as 1 day? Oh that's a relief! Will get her done on the Thursday then that way I can keep an eye on her over the weekend, as i'd just panic if I went to uni the next day hehe. I know i'm really worried about getting her done, as she's a really nervous little girl and has only recently started to trust us enough to let us pet her without her moving away, and i'm worried that putting her through that stress that she will go back to being untrusting of us! Such a hard decision as if she doesn't get spayed it could also be detrimental to her health :(

6. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Talk to the Vet about maybe giving her a short course of Zyklene as it a destresser for a few days before hand and a few days after, my vet also let me collect Maudey asap after op as she is very very stressful (gets stress itu's from the doorbell ringing :rolleyes:)I dropped her off at 8.30 and collected her at 12.30 as she was first to be operated on and they know how stressed she gets.

7. Tiggertots

Thanks for that Greyhare, i will speak to the vet about that, as she is a very nervous little girl, and don't want to make things any worse for her :(

8. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

It's been a godsend for my nervous little girl, but any excuse for a picture, this is her 2 days after op, up in the hammock on the cat tree

[​IMG]

9. dottylotty

dottylotty PetForums Member

gorgeous cat, love the photo

10. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

I had my 2 girls spayed on a friday and sat in with them on the Saturday to keep an eye on them. They slept pretty much all day though so there was not much to watch!

I found that my timid kitten became really friendly and affectionate after we collected them. She slept for a couple of hours on my OH's chest whereas before she wouldn't go near him! She has gone back to being a bit timid again now but nowhere near as bad as she was.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice