Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Question re. fleas

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tiggertots, May 11, 2010.

1. Tiggertots

Tiggertots PetForums Senior

Quick question here. When Tigger came home on wednesday the vet said they checked him over and he didn't have any fleas or anything else. However when we were brushing him we noticed he had 2 ticks on him. So we kept him confined to the bedroom until we went to the vet the next day to get flea treatments and tick remover. We de-flead all 3 of the cats and i washed all the bedding etc, hoovered and treated the bedroom and hall carpets with flea spray just to be on the safe side. I've now just went into the bedroom and there was a little beastie crawling in next to Tigger's leg. Is it possible that even though i've treated all the cats and treated the bedroom that there are still fleas????:confused: I've just got the flea comb there and sat Tigger on a cream throw to check, and there is nothing on the comb or the throw. Am i just being paranoid?

2. Tiggertots

Oh, and none of the cats are scratching!

3. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

the odd flea can be picked up on your clothing etc or a very light load can easily hide in the fur. the spot on flea treatment takes 2-3 days to actually kill any fleas that are present.

4. Tiggertots

Thanks IndysMamma, well they were all de-flea'd on Thursday, so i'd have thought they'd be dead by now, is that right? I've did another hoover and spray of the bedroom and hall, and i've also hoovered our laminated flooring and the fabric sofa and sprayed that too, so hopefully won't have an infestation! Just so paranoid about fleas!!:scared:

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Perhaps a bit of an old wife's tale but feeding your cat a little bit of brewer yeast apparently makes them less delectable to fleas and ticks (and also gives your cat some fabulously healthy fur and skin).

Tiggertots likes this.
  6. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I give my cats this and a little bit of garlic if possible, although 2 of mine don't like garlic so we still have to use the Frontline spot-on just incase.

7. Tiggertots

I always use spot on with my 3, but due to Tigger being missing for neraly 6months, he's been susceptible to catching fleas for at least 4 of those months, so that's why i'm being so paranoid that he may have brought them into the house.:(

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

It could just be coincidence but my cats have never had fleas (they do go out and I do check for them! - probably will have them now though that I told you all :lol:). I also have to admit that I am fairly lax with my frontline.

The only thing that has been consistent food-wise is the use of a little sprinkle of brewer's yeast. Initially bought for their fur etc but then read about the flea repellent as another effect.

#8 hobbs2004, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  9. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

If you have sprayed all the carpets, bedding where he lies perhaps you just seen a random left over flea?

10. Tiggertots

It was just one where he was lying on our bed, everything has been sprayed on Thursday and again today when I seen that one, so fingers crossed there is nothing else! Where do you get the yeast from?

11. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Finger crossed, mine don't either! I first bought it after my boys Dad recommened it to keep him big, healthy coat and help keep his erm... tadpole count up! :D

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Fingers crossed that it was the last one - that one was probably on its last legs given all the precautions that you have taken :thumbup:

I get mine from Germany as I have not seen the flakes that I use here :(. Wonder where Mellowma gets hers from. Maybe I need to check out the shelves in our healthfood shop next time I am there....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice