Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Question for you Maine Coon Slaves

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Mummy of Jaffe Joffer, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Mummy of Jaffe Joffer

Mummy of Jaffe Joffer PetForums VIP

Hey guys,

Could you let me know about your experiences when it comes to matting? Does anyone have much trouble with this? If so where and how often?

The reason I ask is that Jaffe seems to be getting then all the time! Anytime he gets slightly damp his fur knots up and if I don't catch it straight away it ends up with me having to cut it out, which is just a nightmare. His fur seems to be slightly curly so, I'm wondering if this is why it matting so easily or if this is a common problem for all the rest of you slaves? I was always told Maine Coons fur is supposed to be easy maintenance, but Jaffe's coat is proving to be anything but easy! :mad2:

Any input would be much appreciated

2. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

i find mc's matt under their front legs. i use an undercoat rake on the body in april to get rid of all the loose hair.
    you can also spray alittle detangling conditioner on the comb whih should help prevent further knots.
    tip is to try and hold the knot by the skin and get a fine toothed comb between the knot and your finger then gently pull, maybe tease the knot or it its a persistant knot cut the top off then tease out.:)

3. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Indie never seems to get knots and matting and he,s out most of the time, whereas Hamish is really bad for it and does not like getting trimmed at all :confused:

Just depends on the individual I think :)

4. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

5. MaineCooner

MaineCooner PetForums Member

My older girl and the young boy need a quick brush, never any more than that. The younger girl is a constant struggle to keep knot free. She has a cotton wool type undercoat.

6. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

7. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

Welcome back MOJJ, long time not post.

Since you have been away so long I think we need pic's of your handsome Jaffe.

Henry normally gets knots around his back legs, I find it easier to trim the knot than brush it out.

8. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Ours has never had a knot!

9. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

I've only ever seen one matt on Willow - on her trousers, and I cut it out.

The main one for knots is Rowan , he's always having his trousers trimmed - I wondered if it was boy thing?

10. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Louie was the same, like cotton wool fur he just had to look like he was going to wash & get a tat :rolleyes: since he went for a dental & had to have a tooth out :eek: he has been alot better at being tat free, trouble is he's now washing to much I think :yikes:

Tango's is more normal :blink: or at least his fur is :lol: he just gets the odd one in his armpit.

11. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Get yourself a stitch unpicker, it'll be the best couple of quid you will ever spend.... Perfect for breaking up those little knots!

Attached Files:

Mummy of Jaffe Joffer likes this.
  12. Mummy of Jaffe Joffer

Mummy of Jaffe Joffer PetForums VIP

Well I feel a bit better about it now. I knew that the coat types could vary as Jaffe's mum's fur was like strands of silk and his dads was more like a plush carpet, but Jaffe is like his mums on top and cotton wool everywhere else :rolleyes: The thing is if I could stop him playing in the bathtub we would have to constantly go through the drama of it all...but thats not gonna happen me thinks :mad2:

Frickin' brilliant idea, good thinking Batman! I've been trying to use an old comb and detangler, which, gets the job done eventually, but the comb is bit fiddly so using that would get the difficult areas.:thumbup1:

As requested here is my most recent pic of Jaffe, which was taken after he had to have his bum shaved and he's still dopey from the sedative. :001_wub:

[​IMG]

13. Lunabuma

Lunabuma Owned by two Orientals

Glad to see you back MOJJ :) Love seeing pics of JJ even if he's a bit dopey x

#13 Lunabuma, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  14. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

He's so gorgeous :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:

15. paul maine coon

paul maine coon PetForums Senior

I had this trouble with rusty , best thing I got was a rake brush , I've not had a knot from the day I got it :-D

[​IMG]

16. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

OH MY gorgeous :) do you perform surgery on him often lol :laugh:

17. paul maine coon

Yes all the time and look at his silly face, he loves it! Hahaha

18. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

1) which one is the rake brush :eek:

2) you lucky thing - the girls arent too bad with brushing - Rowan I need at least 3 brushes - 2 of those are for him to attack while I am using the other one :eek:

3) :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:

19. paul maine coon

The rake brush is the second from Rusty, basically like a garden rake , got it from pets at home . My friend gave me an old one and he said it was fantastic , looking at it you wouldn't think it does anything but its great and so easy to use :) I went out that day and got a new one I was so impressed and I haven't had a knot from the day I got it , before he was always getting knots that I had to cutting out even though I brushed him most days :)

#19 paul maine coon, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  20. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

Look at that ruff!! He is fabulous!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice