Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Question for Stud Dog owners

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by bird, Jun 18, 2010.

1. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Someone I've grown quite friendly with on our walks, has mated her cocker spaniel bitch. And before anyone asks she wanted a litter (clueless, on your questions to that one), has grown up with cockers, the bitch is kc reg'd, she asked the breeders permission and done all relevant health tests earlier this year.

She went through the lists of stud dogs and chose two possibles that she wanted to mate her bitch with, both choc roan (for record her bitch is orange roan). Both about 200 miles away. But in order for her to mate, she had to transfer her bitch back to the breeders kennel name as neither would allow her bitch to mate with their dog without it. :confused: Now to my question

Is this just down to snobbery or is there a valid reason that they would only mate with a bitch with a kennel name?
    Thanks in advance for your replies. :D

2. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

On Breeders part,
    Pure greed.... want all the credit for breeding the litter without any of the work involved, as technically it makes (bitch) breeder the breeder.

On stud part:
    Pure snobbery... I would guess that the breeder of the bitch has a well known well respected Kennel Name and the stud dog owner wants it to be known that her dog was chosen by a leading kennel.

There is no other reason I can think of. Not something I have ever requested, or dream of requesting.

3. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Thanks for that, personally I would have told the stud dog owners to knob off, if thats their attitude. :D

4. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I have to say I'm slightly confused by this, I've never heard of this before, nor can I see any benefit.

Is it the stud dogs that have asked for the bitch's ownership to be transferred back to her breeder? You can't change a dog kc name, so it can't be that, and I would have thought that the bitch already has the name of the breeder in her kennel name. :confused:

In fact, the only difference it would make is that the breeder of the bitch would be listed as the breeder of this litter, and I can't see why any stud would want that, unless, as Tanya says, the stud owners want people to think this breeder wants to use their stud dog. :confused:

What does the breeder think of all this?

5. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I think initially she was a bit reluctant but she was very keen to have her mated with either of these particular dogs. I didnt want to pry too much as I think the shocked look on my face (I have difficulty in suppressing things at times) shut her up. :eek:

6. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

The original breeder can remove a new owners kennel affix for a 'small' fee (£30) providing it doesn't have it's stud book number and has been transferred back to the breeder's ownership. The process also carries a re-registration fee.

The name can't be changed again after that.

==================

Having said all that, it's more the sort of thing you would think would be used for things such as the death of an owner, puppy owners rehoming or the breeder is bringing a dog back into a kennel for some genuine reason.

It does sound VERY odd :( I would be tempted to walk away - although - if you've find the right dog for your bitch, then you tend to be prepared to do whatever needs to be done - and the stud dog owner seems to be taking advantage of that :(

7. Ridgielover

Ridgielover PetForums Senior

It's not often that I disagree with you, Tanya :D but there are other reasons for transferring a bitch back to the breeder's ownership. Perhaps the bitch's breeder wants to put endorsements on the litter and have control over if/when they are lifted?

Perhaps, as well, the owner of the stud dog would be more comfortable with this situation as they know the bitch's breeder and don't really know the current owner of the bitch?

#7 Ridgielover, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  8. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I have never heard of a stud asking for this before. :confused:

Surely if the bitch's breeder wanted this amount of control then they would have sold the dog on a breeding contract and made these stipulations when they lifted their own endorsements on the bitch. But as it is the stud that asking for this to be done, I can't see what reason there would be. :confused: :confused: :confused:

9. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I think that's taking control over a breeding line to another level, and you would assume that if they wanted this level of control, they would have put the bitch in shared ownership in the first place.

However, in this instance, it is the STUD DOG owner who has requested this, not the bitch's breeder.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice