Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Question for Shiba Inu or similar breed owners

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sunshine80, Apr 26, 2011.

1. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

I am still researching the Shiba Inu and know there are a few about on here who own them. I was just wondering how often/long you walk your dogs for?

I have seen mentioned about 30 minutes but that does not seem that long to me - but then I do own a cocker :D I thought with them being on lead walks then they would need to walk longer than this.

Sonny gets two main walks a day. One is usually about 30-45 minutes as it is around the wood (although he is usually part off lead for this) and the other is longer usually about 1 1/2 hours long. Will a Shiba be happy to walk the same distance as Sonny is really my question. These are the normal walks but he can get longer wlaks of about 2/3 hours occassionally depending on the weather and whether I am on holiday or not. I would be looking for any new dog to be walked mainly at the same time (when an adult) so was just wondering if this was too much for a Shiba?

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

raindog has one, can't think of any other forum members but I'm sure there must be a couple who own a Shiba.

3. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

Just bumping this up if anyone else can help. Also interested to here from Husky/Akita types to see how long they get walked for.

4. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

#4 Milliepoochie, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  5. pinklady

pinklady PetForums Member

Ha ha im not the only person that searches for "Akita" before looking at the forum then!!!!!!!! Mine go for a 30min walk at breakfast, 1 hour at about 4 when i finish work then another hour at about 8.30 (week days) at weekends we go for 30 mins at breakfast 2 hours+ in the afternoon and 1½ at about 8. Sometimes we go for longer depending on the weather :D

6. lillymai08

lillymai08 PetForums Junior

i own shiba inus and have done for 12yrs i walk mine twice a day morning and evening they need no different exercise as any other breed off dog though it is no no to let off the lead i walk mine on extend leads that they do fine on

7. lillymai08

lillymai08 PetForums Junior

to answer your question on how long a shiba needs on the walk a full adult they will keep up with you for as long as you wish wether its 30 mins to 1-3 hrs mine will walk for miles

8. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

Thanks for your replies. That is about what I thought really I had never really considered walking requirements for Shibas as I haver a cocker so knew it would get walked plenty anyway but when the time was mentioned I was concerned that the Shiba would not be able to walk along with Sonny. I am planning on keeping it on a flexi/lobg line if (thats a big if at the moment) I get one as I have plenty for Sonny anyway.

In the warmer weather I usually take Sonny through the wood and down to the river anyway and I always take water for him as well. All your Akitas and Shibas look gorgeous by the way - I would love an Akita but not sure the 2 bedroom semi I stay in or Sonny would agree never mind Dad. I saw one the other day getting walked and it did look pretty hot but it was a warm day - then I felt really bad as a crossed the road to avoid it I really wanted to shout over it was because Sonny can be funny with big dogs that he does not know and not because it was an Akita.

9. pinklady

pinklady PetForums Member

people cross the road from mine all the time :confused: they are big softies, once they let their dog meet them people realise all they want to do is play!!! :p

10. Nicky Ridha

Nicky Ridha PetForums Newbie

I have 4 shibas and I walk them approx 2 hrs a day. They also have a large garden to play in. Mental stimulation is important to so a visit to family, going to the pub, walks around your local village is great. Mine travel with me and love staying away from home.

11. astro2011

astro2011 PetForums VIP

I have an Alaskan Malamute and he can go for as little or as much as you want. Huskies will be the same, but from my understanding will want more than my lazy mal

12. Chrisheathcote

Chrisheathcote PetForums Member

I have a 5 month old Akita and she will walk as much or as little as given the opportunity, typically at the moment she get 2x 30 min walks during the week and at weekend she'll get 1 short and one long (about 1hr 30), but then again she's still only a baby. However at the moment she's taking one look at the door, turning round and going back to bed, can't say I blame her tbh. :D

13. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

My Huskies go to Doggy day care during the week, so they spend 7 hours a day running around. At the weekend I do 2 hours in the morning and then another 2 in the afternoon. Either that or, if the weather is horrible (Dex refuses to go outside if it's raining), we'll do 4 hours in the middle of the day. But they always end up doing zoomies around the garden when we get back, as I can't let them off the lead

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice