UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Question for raw feeders - dog eating soil

917 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Goblin 
#1 ·
Hi i noticed on my walk yesterday one of my dogs scoffing soil off the top of a mole hill! Ive been raw feeding for a few months now, could he be lacking in something? Was wondering if he was trying 2 get minerals from the soil or do they just like the taste? havent noticed this before. Thanks

#2 ·
hmm mine eat grass but havent seen them eat soil
I suppose it could have been a particularly delicious piece of soil, fresh from deep underground

Do you follow the offal,meat, bone ratio to some extent with a variety of protein sources?
if so I would have thought they are getting what they need but just fancied a tasty snack

#3 ·
I use mainly natural instinct chicken or turkey, also tripe lamb ribs chicken wings and thighs and hav recently introduced liver and heart, they also get egg, sardines and the odd bit of fruit and veg. Is this enough variety? One of my dogs doesnt seem to get on with tripe so he doesnt get that but it wasnt him i saw eating soil. Natural instinct says its complete so they should get everything they need from that shouldnt they?

#4 ·
As a new dog owner I am not qualified to answer this however, I have recently read somewhere that this is not unusual, indeed, our own little Shih Tzu likes to root around in the earth as evidenced by his brown/black tongue which is normally pink!! I will state however that our little one is currently under investigation for Inflammatory Bowel Disease which I am sure is not connected to this liking for soil, ( he has not had the opportunity lately as he is watched like a hawk ) Try Googling 'dogs eating soil' as I am sure that you will get some excellent results and advice. Regards, Jim :eek:

#5 ·
Was it just soil? If he doesn't make a habit of it I would suggest there may have been something interesting in the soil.

Your feeding list sounds good although don't see other organs in the list such as kidney. I would also like to see a bit more red meat but appreciate this is not always possible and you have stated heart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.