Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Question for Breeders - how often do you say no?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by popoki, Apr 14, 2011.

1. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

OH and I have recently been discussing breeding pedigree cats.

It's certainly not something we'd even consider for a good few years yet, closer to semi retirement - if at all!

However, OH made the point - how often would you say no to prospective owners. He said he'd probably say no to most people if they didn't come up to standard and admits we'd probably end up keeping all the kittens! :lol:

So I just wondered how often do you say no to owners and at what stage?

We've only dealt with two breeders and in both cases had long phone conversations before we went to meet them and then spent about 2 hours each time talking to them and meeting their cats. We'd have been devastated if either of them didn't think we were suitable owners! And I imagine it's even harder once the potential owner has met the kittens!

Reading the stories about how tough it can be for some to get a rescue cat - I just wondered how pedigree breeders compared.

Feel free to move this post into Cat Chat if you think it's more suited there!

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I'll have to apologise up front as think this'll be a long reply :) It's hard to say why I personally find I "can't help at the moment, sorry" some people who enquire, without giving an explanation why I do that, i.e. without making it sound like I'm too judgmental/overly fussy.

I've bred cats for such a long time, it's mostly gut instinct now and I just hope that my instinct is right *most* of the time. 99% of the time things never get to the stage where I need say 'no'. That'd be because... I get a one line email which says 'have you got any kittens?'; 'how much are your kittens?'; 'I'm looking for a kitten, here's my mobile number, ring me'.

A few folk who do initially sound fine who come to meet us and the cats, I've ended up either saying no to or, more usually, taking the coward's way out and making an excuse so we don't have an uncomfortable confrontation :eek: Off the top of my head, thinking about more recent occasions, that's been a family who turned up with three lovely kids but who were totally out of control (trust me, it was bedlam and I felt quite fortunate we didn't have an injured kitten before I managed to get them out of the house). Or people who only let on when they come to visit that they're away from home working very long hours/away on business.. or one half of the couple is obviously more concerned about the fact that they've bought a new leather settee.

I suppose I could have shortened this by saying that I get enough really lovely, genuine enquiries from people who then visit and are equally as lovely in person and sort of 'fit' the type of home I want for my kittens... that I find I don't have to say no very often because those people don't usually make a visit - I've already said sorry, can't help :)

3. angel a

angel a PetForums Junior

I learnt very quickly with my first litter of kittens that listening to my instinct was so important in finding the right homes for my kittens. You get talking to people on the phone who in the beginning sound quite promising, but as you continue the conversation they start to tell you things about themselves or their lives that dont lend themselves to being cat owners. I also get so many emails, a typical one being "how much do you want for that kitten" that will not even be answered.

Having got past scrutiny on the telephone, a lovely gent turned up to look at the kittens and although he knew the price before he arrived, he started to query how much they were and tried to haggle with me. I told him I wasnt a second hand car dealer and maybe he should go elsewhere and showed him the door. That is the only time I have had to do that, thank goodness.

I have had photos back of nearly all the kittens I have bred (one even has his own youtube) and when you see them healthy and happy, and giving so much love and enjoyment to their owners it makes all the hard work worthwhile

4. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I've only ever said a direct 'no' once in my life. It was someone who just wouldn't phone before they visited and had only communicated by email. It's something I normally never let happen but they knew someone who got their cat from me ...... First and last time anyone has ever got has far as the house to be told no. I too screen on the phone and rarely tell anyone directly they can't have a kitten on an initial call. I stay very vague about available kittens at the start or, if I'm not getting the right vibes straight away I might suggest something like they 'research the breed' and then come back to me if they're really sure it's what they want. One or two have actually done so over the years and turned out to be lovely.

5. Cerridwen

Cerridwen PetForums Member

Not very often and when I do it's at an early stage. Usually at the "e-mail/phone stage". Most people who are interested in my cats are regular people, not strange or weird at all. Perfectly normal people who just want a pet.

6. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

Thanks everyone, very interesting reading so far!

7. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I've not said no to anyone yet who has got to the visit stage. It's usually in email enquiries and I don't tend to say no outright but put them off by giving loads of info about having them neutered etc. It's usually the ones that start by saying 'how much are your kittens' but to be honest I've not had many like that.
    I have email and photo updates from my babies and have one as a friend on FB too - he has his own page :D

8. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

I'm not a breeder but a very good friend of mine is and we've often had the conversation about how she does it and that I just dont think I could do and would end up keeping them all and she said that she never considers them as hers, she's just looking after them until they go their homes.

I supposed it depends how big a breeder you are but as she only has a couple of litters a year she always has homes for her kittens and avoids the confrontation with the 'waiting list' excuse as most of the people that are unsuitable are people who just want a kitten NOW and haven't really put a lot of thought into owning a cat. I think people who care about the animals that they want and have really considered the breed then they will wait.

9. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

my cats just had a litter (moggies) and i have a small waiting list :)

dint want to have to advertise but if i did i would be as stringent as the breeders on who took my kittens home with them :)

10. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

That would illicit an instant refusal from me too.

You actually get the punctuation with those? I'm rarely lucky enough to get a literary genius who bothers with a question mark. Your one line enquiries are definitely a cut above mine :)

11. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

I dont breed cats, I breed dogs, lol!

But, yeah, we turn down more people than enough when we have a litter, lol!

The most common reason is people who email and cant even spell the breed name right :rolleyes::and people who ring and cant pronounce it correctly.:rolleyes:: Its a big no-no for me and really annoys me people cant even get the name right :mad:

12. gskinner123

oh no very littel or no punctuation.they usually look a bit more like ur kittens r lovely have u got any 4 sale at hte moment

I sound like a snob, don't I? :) But it's a hard fact that anyone who sends a one-liner, especially in text speak, never responds favourably to a polite reply asking for a little more information about them, etc. I know that because I used to try. A long time ago.

13. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

You and me both. I no longer give a moble number because I cannot cope with textspeak. I can't cope with people texting about kittens at all so it's landline only now. I also noticed that people are far more likely to phone a mobile number at all hours of the day and night whereas they generally still stick to more sociable hours when phoning a landline.

14. Cooniemum

Cooniemum PetForums Junior

I think I am quite lucky that the majority of our enquiries are genuine and I get a good feel for people. I hate it when people email and say 'how much are your kittens?' as their first question.

I respond to every single enquiry out of politeness but if I am not happy with someone then I just say we have no availability or that I will add them to my waiting list.

My babies are far too precious for me to let them go to a home where I am not 100% convinced they will be happy.

15. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I think the main word to be picked up on is 'babies', at the end of the day, if your attitude is that they are your own babies, then you would look out for them like they are your own. I would compare it to letting a teenage daughter go on a date with a boy for the first time lol!

If I ever were to become a breeder, I would make sure the little furbabies are going somewhere that is going to be their forever home. However, sadly, there are some people that have the attitude that they can make a quick couple of quid off the kittens sales, I'm more inclined to believe these are the less responsible people who breed their girls "because it's fun" or "because it would be interesting to see". Compare that to the breeders who refer to their kittens many times as 'babies', who DO do it for fun, as a hobby, but are properly read up on the subject, know what to expect, and realise that there is a lot of hard work involved. As Havoc has previously pointed out to me, as a serious breeder you rarely cover the costs of breeding so it's hardly for financial gain. :)

16. gskinner123

Missy, you've made me feel guilty now :D I don't refer to mine as 'my babies' though, oddly, the only person I do say 'the babies' to is my OH. I think that's perhaps because when I'm talking to prospective owners I want to sound a bit professional (though that's the wrong word I can't think of a substitute) and not like a mad old cat lady. Though in no way am I saying that that would make you such as I do use the term in private.

I also hate Americanisms, sorry :eek: Such as furbabies, furkids or even 'the kids'.

In summary, I'm probably quite old fashioned and more of the mad old cat lady than I care to let onto the rest of the world about :)

17. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Oh I Hate text talk!! Its ruining the queens english haha! :nono: :001_smile: :001_smile: (I really cant stand it though - nor understand it!!)

Same here! And I do say that they are my babies, and the cats are my kids (sorry skinner is kids american?! :tongue_smilie: )

Normally they dont get passed a email or phone-call, but have said no to 3 people when they got here, long stories, one was quite sad as it was only due to one person, but they didnt care :( :nono:

I did have a phone call and when I asked what breed they were after she said 'Oh I dunno, I dont care, whatever' :eek: 'does it come with a pedigree and all that crap?' :rolleyes:: 'erm...bye!' :nono:

#17 Taylorbaby, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  18. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

What I forgot to say was that I was using it as an example, not really a general "if you say furbabies you are great, if you don't you are a terrible breeder" type thing. I was pointing more to the type of attitude rather than what we each call our cats and kittens :D
    I call Sooty my baby, and the love of my life, because quite simply he is :D I've had him since I was 9, so have grown up with him and we just have that special bond, you know? :)

19. angel a

angel a PetForums Junior

Of course they are my babies, from the moment they are born to the moment they leave for their new homes, they are my life. I sleep with them by my side, I cook all their food for them, make sure they are litter trained, playing with them and have spent hours with some trying to teach them to use a scratching post! I have also hand reared quite a few now, which entails feeding every 2 or 3 hours day and night which is so emotionally and physically draining.

But Im glad its not just me then that doesnt refer to my kittens as "my babies" in public. I also dont want to be thought of as "the mad old cat woman"....however I was crushed inside when my 21 year old daughter said she would rather be a mad old cat woman like me than marry any of the emotionally retarded boys she has met since she has been at university!! (I have by the way been happily married for 24 years!)

20. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

nothing wrong with a mad cat women! :001_smile:
    esp when your walking down the road with one on a harness and 2 not on one talking to them and everyone looks :tongue_smilie:

who else am I gonna talk to?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice