Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Question about vets

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Scarlett20, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Scarlett20

Scarlett20 PetForums Senior

A few people on here have mentioned that, when they have taken their kitten to the vets 'to be done', that the vet has also cut the kittens claws - and this is without them asking the vet to do this.

Should the vet actually do this without asking the kittens owner first?

If you don't want your cats nails cutting, then should you say so beforehand? Imagine though if the vet had no intention of cutting the kittens nails, this might make the vet a bit annoyed with you.

Has anyone said that they particularly don't want the kittens nails cutting when taking the kitten 'to be done'?

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I cut my own kittens' claws but I can imagine that some vets would do it to avoid being scratched themselves maybe. As a rule I clip claws before a visit to the vet just in case.

3. Izzie

Izzie PetForums Senior

I had to fill in a form for mine to say if there were any extras I wanted doing while they were under. I ticked the claw trimming box, we discussed it, I asked him in person to trim the claws, but they didn't do it :rolleyes:

4. Scarlett20

How often should a kittens claws be cut?

5. Scarlett20

That's good to have a form to fill in, but very silly for them not to look at the form :rolleyes:

6. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Why would you not want the claws clipped?? As someone who used to volunteer in a vets we used to always do a little manicure on cats and sometimes even dogs whilst they were under general or sedation. Cats claws can become too long at times and I have seen claws that have grown right round into the pad of the paw granted mainly on adult/senior cats but still?!?!

7. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

I always make sure my kittie's claws are clipped (usually do it myself while they're in sleepy mode :))

I know it's time to do it again when I start getting claw marks! If the vet offered to do it, I'd be pleased - one less time I've got to do it myself!

8. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Just do them when they are getting too sharp :) I do the kittens two or three times before they leave. The girls get theirs done every six weeks or so and always before visiting the stud :eek:

9. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

If my vets had offered it I would have taken them up on it.

Was checking Willows claws the other day, her back claws are quite blunt, but her front claws.... :eek:

The only extra thing they offered was blood tests to make sure they were in tiptop condition for the GA.
    The vet told me it was my choice, but as they were young and healthy, if they were his cats he wouldnt have them as no need to.

I asked him if the same applied to Holly (who had, then lost, her 'innocent' heart murmur) and he said she was fine and there was no need, but he would do them if I wanted him to.

10. Scarlett20

I think, perhaps, I might have been letting my imagination run wild :eek:

You know how possessive we are about our babies and we worry ourselves sick at the slightest thing, well I think I just began to think about 'the day'.

It was particularly the bit about some vets not asking which was on my mind. I like people to ask - I can't do with them just assuming that the answer is 'yes'.

11. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Kittens and young cats DO need claws clipped if they're not going outdoors!! Indoor cats need it too. They're not climbing trees and fences to file them down!

Treacle's had his done by the vet, as I came home a few weeks ago to find blood on one of his paws. The vet said his claws had got caught up on the carpet and he couldn't get free, so she cut them for him. I'd be grateful for any extra work done during neutering, so at least the kitten only has 1 anaesthetic and doesn't know what's happening.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice