Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Question about moving house & introducing new cat at the same time

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by AutumnPump, Sep 21, 2020.

1. AutumnPump

AutumnPump PetForums Newbie

Hello, me and my husband own two 2 year old cats. We lived in a small flat till now but are going to move into a two bedroom house soon. We are expecting them to be stressed for a few weeks but looked up a lot of tips on how to make them feel as comfortable as we can.

The issue is a family member got a cat not too long ago but sadly their dog doesn’t get a long with the cat. They asked if we could take the cat because they only other option would have been to give it back to the shelter. We agreed on taking her but didn’t know at this moment that we would move so soon, so the day the new cat should come and live with us is only 2 days after the move.

I don’t want to stress my cats with moving + a new cat at the same time but also would like to avoid the other cat going back to the shelter. Does anyone have any idea on what we could do or has any similar experience? Thanks in advance

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @AutumnPump and welcome :)

I do wonder whether you would have enough on your plate, moving house, getting settled into a new home, and getting your 2 cats settled and getting used to a life with outdoor access without taking on the challenge of introducing a new adult cat into the mix.

Introducing a new kitten to adult cats is one thing, but IME introducing a new adult cat to other adult cats needs far more care and takes more time. I have made a lot of introductions of cats over the years, but it is not something I would really want to do when I have just moved house.

Your own cats are indoor cats and not used to mixing with other cats. You have no idea how they would take to a strange cat appearing in their new home. It could be very disruptive for them especially when they will be adjusting to the strange/new environment themselves.

What do you know about the temperament of your friend's cat? Is it a male or female?

I think you should decide on the basis of what will be best for the cat. Personally I feel that as the cat's current adoption has broken down due to the cat not getting along with the dog, it would be much better for the cat to be returned to the Shelter, so a more suitable home than his present one can be found for him/her. If s/he comes to live with you and it doesn't work out because your 2 cats do not like him/her, it would be more stress for the poor cat.

As the current placement has broken down, the Shelter will be more careful next time where they place him/her for adoption and hopefully they will get it right. If it were me I would place the cat in a home with no dogs and where he/she will be the only cat . It reduces the chance of the placement failing again, so less stress for the cat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice