Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Question about long haired cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kori, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Hello,

I was wondering how long the fur on a cat has to be in order for him/her to be considered a longhair?

I am getting two kittens soon. The mummy cat has got quite long hair but she's not a special breed. Her previous kittens are all short haired. This time they don't know who the daddy is so I guess I'll have to wait and see how the kittens turn out!

How old does have a kitten have to be before you can work it out? How much maintenance will they need?

Kori

2. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

if they are long haired kittens the owners should be able to tell after a week or two depending on the size of the kitten. longhaired cats are a lot more high maintenance than short haired, they need regular grooming so that their fur doesnt get matted and in the summer and warmer weather i use a stripping comb to save from too much shedding

3. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

I have attempted to attach a photo of one of the kittens. He is 2 weeks old called Casper. Can you tell if he is long or short haired?

Kori

Attached Files:

4. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I have no idea but he sooooooo cute!!

5. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

My Rescue Black girls are long haired ( to me anyway ) but they are still known as moggies this is Midnight She is 11 months old ;) [​IMG]

6. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Yup she is deffo long-haired. She is lovely. I had a long haired black and white kitten, Floyd. Someone stole him. First they enticed him with steak them they moved house and took him!!

Anyway, back to the thread :D, I would wait a few more weeks and see how they look then bit very cute whatever the outcome.

7. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Yep i agree wait a few months .. they can change very dramatically ! :D x

8. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Long haired is more like Persians which can be unmanageable to most. Semi-long hairs are much more common, esp with moggies. For that it simply just has to be a bit longer than an obviously short haired moggie I would have thought. With a SLH you can comb through every few days without a problem & cats being cats they love a bit of attention to their coat. :)

9. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

You should defo be able to tell by six weeks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice