UK Pet Forums Forum banner

question about generations

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  nicolaa123 
As above, except at the moment we call a Snowshoe crossed with a permitted outcross breed a first generation (so Snowshoe x Siam is 1st generation) and a cross of two permitted outcross breeds is a foundation (so Siamese x BSH is zero generation).

The Snowshoe can be shown from 4th generation and above (at the moment) so you have to wait until a 1st generation's great, great grandkittens before they can be shown. The registration paperwork will clearly show whether the kitten can be shown as they will be reference register and it is marked on it. The Pedigree papers with registration numbers shows the generation status as if a cat is another breed code than 83 then they're offspring will be first generation.

If you are not bothered about showing the early generation cats are lovely pets. Clearly the type gets truer as you go up the generations but temperament is part of our breed standard and the outcross kitten I have had have been fantastic.

Hope you feel better soon :)

I'm sorry, I seem to have misunderstood you, of course I am not suggesting that you have to cross a Siamese to BSH. I read you to say that the cross of Siamese to American Shorthair creates a first generation Snowshoe. My understanding of the current Registration Policy is that a Snowshoe crossed to an permitted outcross cat is a first generation Snowshoe.

I don't have the benefit of 30 years plus of experience and am learning as I go. The policies take some deciphering but I am confident in my understanding of my own breeds policy. Maybe the terms I used are colloquialisms

By "as above" I intended to indicate my agreement with what you had written, I'm sorry if you took my post to read as a correction of yours, it was not intended to correct you and I now see how I have must have misread you.

I have always respected your experience and advise and had no intention to offend you, so my apologies if I have done so.

No you are right, I read it as examples myself now.

I love the Snowshoes, they are my passion but you do need masses of cash, masses of enthusiasm and masses of support from others who share your aims. I am years from getting an outcross as far as the show bench and I am very quickly learning that working with type, temperament and pattern is like juggling with treacle!!

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.