Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Question about dog euthanized

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Spanwe, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Spanwe

Spanwe PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone. 4 days ago, we had to euthanize our beloved 11 year old Dachshund because he got very sick, and the veterinarian recommended doing this so that he would not suffer or die in the hospital that night without us. My wife and I decided to accept this, and I was present during the procedure, where the doctor first injected a substance that immediately put our dogs to sleep, and immediately afterwards he injected another substance where I felt with my left hand, how his heart stopped. His eyes stayed open when this happened, and the doctor pronounced him dead.

In addition to the family being devastated, my wife says that she cannot sleep since then thinking about the possibility that perhaps the doctor faked the death of our dog to keep him to do experiments with him since his disease was very rare. I know this may sound very absurd to many of you, but she has this horrible fear and she wants to make sure that what I witnessed during the euthanasia procedure, actually put our dog to rest forever and there was no way the doctor will have revived him afterwards when we left the veterinarian office.

I hope you can help me to confirm this so she can rest her mind, and find pece as well.

Thank you for your time, and your comments are much appreciated.

2. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

There is nothing to worry about, I'm struggling to put this in a nice way but dogs are specifically bred to be tested on, they wouldn't go through all the trouble of getting vets to fake putting dogs to sleep etc when they probably already have lots of dogs to hand.

Hope you both feel better soon.

3. Bizzi Kizzi

Bizzi Kizzi PetForums Junior

What you describe sounds quite normal for when an animal is being put to sleep. Sometimes the eyes stay open and there can even be small movements from the body after the dog (or cat) has died.

I understand how your wife feels and that it can be difficult to accept that a loved pet has really gone, but you really have done the right thing and your boy will not suffer any more.

Spanwe, cbcdesign, Sarah H and 2 others like this.
  4. rottieboys

rottieboys PetForums Senior

You could go and asks to see the body of your beloved pet. We did this when our Diesel died suddenly at the vets. He was n't well during the night, I took him straight away to the vets first thing in the morning. They helped with getting Diesel out of the car onto a trolley, took him in a room to give him some oxygen to help with his breathing. Came back to me in the reception asking questions . I was told he is feeling much better and I should go home and they will phone me later, this was about 9 am. At about 11.45 am, they phoned me saying he was not doing too well and they were going to get him to a veterinary hospital and would I agree to it. Of course ,do what you can as he was only 6 years old. Then at 12 they phoned to tell me that Diesel has died before getting the transport to the hospital. I went straight to the vets and said my goodbyes. I told them not to let his body be taken by their people, I was going to organise this myself. My son wanted to say goodbye to Diesel so a day later he was allow to go to the vets and touch and speak to diesel. We got in touch with Godstone pet cemetery for them to collect Diesel. We went down to be there when they cremated him and we took Diesels ashes home with us some hours later. So my point is, asks to see him again to ease your doubt . Best wishes to you both.

Spanwe likes this.
  5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

That's just what happened when the vet came to our home and helped Dillon on his way. Two injections and over within seconds and Dillon was at peace.

Spanwe and cbcdesign like this.
  6. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

When we had our greyhound pts her eyes stayed open, we took her home and the next day we buried her in the garden

It sounds like your boy had a peaceful death and I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.

Take care.

Spanwe likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I dont think that would be a very great idea 4 days later.

It all sounds completely normal. No way would the vet 'fake' his death. Very sad to lose your dog, try not to make things worse by imagining horror stories.

Jason25, Happy Paws2, Cleo38 and 2 others like this.
  8. Spanwe

Spanwe PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your reply. This will help my wife to feel less stressed.

9. Spanwe

Spanwe PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your response, it is much appreciated.

10. Spanwe

Spanwe PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your reply.

Beth78 likes this.
  11. Spanwe

Spanwe PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your response. I showed your message to my wife so she can find more peace.

Blitz likes this.
  12. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Sounds completely normal, the first drug is a sedative then second is to stop the heart, if you don't take the body home then it is bagged and placed in a freezer to await collection to be cremated.

Beth78 and Spanwe like this.
  13. Spanwe

Spanwe PetForums Newbie

Thank your for your response. It brought peace to our family.

Beth78 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice