Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

question about bonding

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by terriermaid, Jul 29, 2009.

1. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

i have a 7 week old rabbit for sale and a possible new owner wants to put her in with a 16 week old doe (as shes just lost one) she intends to get them neutered ,vets have advised her to get a younger one ,i have no experance of this ,any advice?

2. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

at 16 weeks this rabbit could be sexually mature, personally I wouldnt let them have ur rabbit unless they were keeping them separate, and I wouldnt sell him for another week either. Also there are so many already neutered rabbits in rescues and even better they will help with the bonding process.

If they have just lost one rabbit is it possible they wernt caring for it properly?

3. terriermaid

i hadnt thought of rescue sorry ,i'll send her to woodside ,well i had a long story about the death and yes she seemed a very caring distrought owner ,rabbit seemed to have bled to death with a cut lip ? not vhd ,she has a vet nurse as neighbour and rabbit was kept overnight at vets where it died

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

:) I'm thinking of offering some of my spare time to woodside, at my vets woodlands (very nice people but seem to know nothing about rabbits) they've got posters up saying their inundated with rabbits, at least they will be able to make sure shes suitable, however she might just decided to go to a pet shop :( tell her that they can do all the bonding for her and make sure they get on ok, and if not can try another rabbit, I had a look on their website recently and they have plenty of young ones too

5. terriermaid

shes def not going to a pet shop ,as thats where her others come from ! ,i put her off for a couple of days as she was so upset and maybe not making good decisions but when she rings back i'll sugest woodside ,thats why i asked on here vets havnt as much experiance as breeders /owners about behaviour

6. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

If her 16 week old isnt spayed then it will just terrorise the baby, if it had been spayed then it wouldnt be an issue.

7. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i wouldnt recommend putting another baby in with the 16 week old, i got summer when she was 9 weeks and i tried to put 8 week old kits with her and she lunged at them trying to bite them, so even at an earlier age there not compatable straight away.

8. terriermaid

thanks for the advice ,i will advise her to go rescue ,i think she said her rabbit was due to be spade today

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice