Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Question about Americans Bullies

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BradTheBlue, Sep 6, 2019.

1. BradTheBlue

BradTheBlue PetForums Newbie

Hey Everyone,
    I recently discovered the type of dogs named "Bully's". My question is: are American Bullies (Specifically American Pitbull to American Staffordshire or American Bulldog) legal in the UK? I know that the American pitbull is definitely illegal but I wasn't sure about these breeds.

hamzama likes this.
  2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Pitbull crosses aren't legal in the UK.

Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

American bullies aren't the same as the APBT, they are a lot stockier, come in several different sizes & unfortunately are often bred for extreme looks over function, using very close inbreeding.

They seem to be increasing in popularity in the UK, although due to their looks I'd be very concerned of them being mistaken for 'type' & have no idea why anyone would risk their dog being seized just to own a dog of a certain look.

Yes, BSL is unfair, not fit for purpose, ill thought out, cruel & needs to be scrapped, but until a time that happens why do people risk their dogs for the sake of looks?

Torin., StormyThai, O2.0 and 2 others like this.
  4. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

American Bullies are a cross breed. The pit bull ban in the UK isn't based on breed, rather than "type", so if the dog fits into that cookie cutter "type" it would be banned. A lot of the Bullies I've seen really vary in shape and heaviness, some of them may well be typed, but many are too chunky for that.

The make up of Bullies seems to vary, you see some that have a lot of Staffy and English Bulldog in there, I've seen some that look like they have American Bulldog and French Bulldog in there too. Some I really think a lay person wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the dog labelled as a "Bully" and a Staffy cross. Don't get me started on the extreme ones that are a complete genetic car crash asking for some insane vet bills.

I would say to anyone considering a Bully, why not a rescue staffy or bulldog cross in rescue instead? There's a bazillion of those. Bullys seem to be bred entirely for appearance, to look as "hard" and muscly as possible. See them with illegally cropped ears for the same reason. Not a fan.

Jason25, Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  5. BradTheBlue

BradTheBlue PetForums Newbie

Two questions:
    What are APBT?
    If it is the look of a pitbull, would an American staff and bulldog cross be allowed or would that full under the type?

6. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

Apbt stands for American pit bull terrier.

I don't really understand the bsl myself, but I know amstaffs aren't allowed either.

7. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

These are becoming popular in my neck of the woods, appears to be a national trend though. Generally they are the more athletic lines rather than the exotic deformed ones. These are surely 'of type' and it's only a matter of time before the law cracks down.

8. hamzama

hamzama PetForums Newbie

[QUOTE = "bunnygeek, post: 1065494871, member: 1475022"] Les American Bullies sont une race croisée. Au Royaume-Uni, l'interdiction des pit-bulls n'est pas basée sur la race, mais sur le "type". Par conséquent, si le chien s'inscrit dans ce type de "cookie", il sera interdit. La plupart des Bullies que j'ai vus varient beaucoup en forme et en lourdeur, certains sont peut-être dactylographiés, mais beaucoup sont trop volumineux pour cela.

La composition de Bullies semble varier, vous en voyez qui ont beaucoup de Staffy et de English Bulldog, j'en ai vu qui semblent avoir le American Bulldog et le French Bulldog également. Certains, je pense vraiment, qu'un laïc ne serait pas capable de faire la différence entre le chien étiqueté «Bully» et une croix Staffy. Ne me lancez pas dans les cas extrêmes qui sont un accident de voiture génétique complet demandant des factures de fou de vétérinaire.

Je dirais à tous ceux qui envisagent un tyran, pourquoi ne pas utiliser un centre de secours ou un bulldog pour le remplacer? Il y en a un bazillion. Les intimidateurs semblent être entièrement créés pour l'apparence, pour avoir l'air aussi "dur" et musclé que possible. Voyez-les avec des oreilles coupées illégalement pour la même raison. Pas un fan. [/ QUOTE]

9. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

@hamzama why have you just translated what @bunnygeek said into French? As your first post too. Bit weird...

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice