Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Question about addopting a homeless puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by brunoc, Oct 4, 2020.

1. brunoc

brunoc PetForums Newbie

Hello.
    First of all i have to say i'm new here so i don't even know if this is the right place to ask my questions but iit's what i found so sorry in advance if i'm mistaken.
    This is the story: There's a homeless dog that keeps coming back to my grandpa yard so my grandpa started giving her food wich i like to see him doing but the dog is still homeless despiste the fact that he spends most of the time in that yard. She had puppies some time ago but they all died of natural causes i think (i only found out some time after that happened and i wasn't paying much attention to them, only saw them a couple of times when i went there for some other reason) and now she had 7 more beautiful puppies and i'm thinking about bringing one home (i have one dog already). At first i was concerned that he might miss his mom and siblings but after some research i realized bringing him home is still the best since his mom his homeless and my grandpa doesn't wants 7 more dogs running around in his yard. This is not my biggest question but is it a good idea to do that? To bring him home? Or should i let him with the others and his mom? Continuing... My big question is (if i bring him home) is it fine to do it now? It's been a little over a month since they were born, i read that you should wait at least 8 weeks and that was my plan (i would feed them and their mother during that period) but my dad says that if we wait 2 months they will run away and that might happen since their mom goes out of the yard some times (or maybe a lot of times, i can't say it with precision because i live a few minutes from there). So these are my questions. I'm really happy with the idea of getting a new dog (i'm concerned that my other dog will feel a little left out tough) and i can't think of a better home for him then here with us (we have a lot of space to run around and i really love dogs). I wish i could bring all of them home but i still live with my parents and they would not be happy if i did that lol.
    Thank you in advance for everyone that helps and sorry for the long text, also sorry in case i'ts hard to understand due to ponctuation (i'm not english)

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I assume you’re not in the UK?

Is there a local rescue organisation that could help gather up the dogs and neuter the females to prevent more pups?

You could then discuss with them adopting one of the pups?

Torin. and O2.0 like this.
  3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

‘Lurcherlad’ makes a really good point. If that can’t work for some reason and you do decide to take one (assuming you can get it away from the mother), yes, you do need to wait until it’s older (at least 8 weeks). By taking it sooner than that you can do irreparable damage to its emotional development and you could end up with a dog with severe issues (not least, fear aggression). Secondly, how will you deal with the puppy and your current dog? There is no reason to expect your current dog to want anything to do with the pup - quite the opposite, in fact as it has no biological bond to the puppy. So, how will you keep them apart if you need to? Do you have the time to give the attention the puppy will need while still ensuring that your current dog gets the attention it undoubtedly needs - and deserves (you say “tough” regarding your dog feeling left out, but that is a really unreasonable attitude - your current dog has no doubt given you absolute loyalty, so you really do need to take responsibility and ensure that it does not feel left out.) What will you do if your older dog really cannot cope with having the puppy around? Persevering may not be the answer in the worst case. And, finally, do you have the money to get the puppy checked out by the vet (which would be wise) and to get it vaccinated (which is essential)? Don’t forget the potential for other vets’ fees as it goes through life. And you say you live at home right now - are you liable to leave home in the foreseeable future? If so, what happens to the dog?
    There are a lot of things to think about - so do not rush into this. You really need to think the difficulties through and find answers to them, before thinking of taking a puppy from this litter.

#3 Ian246, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Senior

I think the OP intended to say "though" rather than "tough".

brunoc and SusieRainbow like this.
  5. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

I hope so. That would read a bit better!

SusieRainbow likes this.
  6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Mum will be leaving the yard to find food.

Feed her and she should stay with her pups.

Are you in the UK?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Portugal.

Rafa likes this.
  8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Hi @brunoc and welcome :)
    I think instead of thinking about the one puppy, you should look at the bigger picture. The mother dog and the whole litter. Someone needs to care about what happens to them too, it might as well be you.

The first priority should be the mother of these puppies. Is she healthy? Will she let you handle her? Can someone make her a comfortable spot and feed her regularly there?

Ideally the mother dog needs to be caught, seen by a vet. She needs to be checked for parasites, and poor thing needs to be spayed once the puppies are weaned.

Next priority, the puppies.
    Puppies will need to be wormed, they'll need to start weaning, and ideally they need to stay with mum and littermates for 8 weeks. At the absolute minimum 6 weeks. Any younger than that and you risk serious health and behavior issues.

Is there any way you can get a rescue organization involved? This is a lot for one person to do, and it would be much better if you had help.

Torin., Linda Weasel and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice