Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Question about abyssinian

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jeboots66, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Jeboots66

Jeboots66 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I'm new here and first time cat owner. I recently got an Abyssinian kitten, I made the mistake of not researching the breed enough and everything I read says they aren't good to be left alone. I'm attached to her now but I work full time. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and she will be ok alone during work day. And I know getting another cat is recommended but not in the cards for me.

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome

@Forester has an Abyssinia so might be able to help with personality ( I have a feeling Solomon would cause chaos if left alone)

Any kitten ideally should not be left alone, especially all day. The risks are enormous plus kittens really do need feeding small amounts little and often throughout the day ( you can get around this by having a timer feeder) if this would be safe for a kitten I can not say.
    As for company, cats are generally solitary animals but some like and crave company especially if no one is around to play and stimulate them. Again I do not know if Abyssinia are good alone. You could speak with the breeder for advice.

The other option is to have a pet sitter pop in once maybe twice a day 5 days a week, to play, feed and check he she is ok.

You really need to do a health and safety of your home, I would recommend this to any kitten owner. Curtain blind cords, electric wires, toilet seats, high stair wells, the list is endless and kittens become like gremlins as they grow and find the daftest things to play with.

I am sure other will come along with advice too.

Forester and lymorelynn like this.
  3. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

I have 2 Somalis which are very similar. They do like their people and to be involved with you (not so good at amusing themselves) but like any other cat, your kitten will likely just sleep when you’re out and be pleased to see you when you get home. That’s once he’s old enough to be fine on his own - probably best to be at home a bit more if you can whilst he’s small. You will have to spend more time playing with her than if she had a playmate.

When my previous cat died, Mosi was ok on his own when I went to work, but I noticed a change when I got home - he seemed more needy and clingy as though he was compensating for having been on his own all day without company. But not to the extent it would have been a problem for him to remain an only cat had I not wanted to get another.

4. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

Welcome to the world of Abyssinian slavedom. I’ve had cats all my life, and known adult Abyssinian’s too ,but nothing quite prepares you for life with an Abyssinian kitten. I describe mine as being like a cross between Mo Farrah and Max Whitlock. I can assure you , you’re not going to have time to get bored!

I am extremely surprised the kitten’s breeder did not stress to you how active they are and how much they need to be kept occupied. IMHO an Aby left unsupervised will find trouble however they are unbelievably affectionate and extremely good company.

I completely agree with @ewelsh that a cat sitter popping in a couple of times a day to play with and check on your kitten would be a great idea.

Provide your kitten with as much stimulation as possible whilst you’re at work. Bird feeders within view of the windows, cat trees( the taller the better) and masses of toys.

Could you get an exercise wheel ? I bought one for my boy and find that he uses it at least 10 times a day even though he has other feline company. It was expensive but worth every penny. It’s a Cazami which I believe is the largest, and safest wheel available.

1A40CCB9-F49E-4261-9C45-726BCEE79998.jpeg

How about creating a climbing wall for your kitten, something like this.I erected this in order to prevent my boy tightrope walking the curtain pole then shinning down the curtains.

64B862C8-9584-4598-8DFC-D54215FD0260.jpeg

I hope you find ways to enrich your kitten’s environment whilst you’re not there. Having an Abyssinian kitten is very hard work but absolutely worth it.

What is he/ she called?
    Can we have a photo?

Good Luck!

5. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Wow @Forester that is an impressive wheel, I bet Solomon runs for hours.

Hope you Dylan and Soli are all well xx

Forester likes this.
  6. Forester

He doesn’t actually use the wheel for long each time ( unless it brings him attention ! ) . He does however run to it in situations he’s not happy about e. g. closed doors. He clearly finds comfort, or release of some sort, from using it. Sometimes he gets extremely excited and will spin it so fast he’s almost upside down.:eek:. That seems to give him the greatest pleasure. If human he’d be a stunt man! I cannot recommend these wheels enough for high energy cats. Sedate Dylan has never even stood in the wheel.

I do think one of these would be perfect for a cat who needs to expend energy.

ewelsh and Psygon like this.
  7. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

That really mirrors what ours do! Especially the closed door comment!

Our girls like to also shout about how fast they are running - definitely see the wheel as a way to get attention from their humans. Darcy likes it when I jog on the spot next to the wheel with her running on it :D :D

And totally echo the comment about recommending them for high energy cats. Cat wheels have definitely been our best investment for the tonks!

Willsee, ewelsh and Forester like this.
  8. Forester

Oh yes, Solly loves to sing as he runs. The faster he goes the louder he sings!

I think I’ll have to try jogging on the spot close to the wheel! :D

ewelsh likes this.
  9. urbantigers

Oh don’t get me started on the shouting……..

I forgot to mention in my post above that both Mosi and Kito are VERY vocal! Kito is particularly vocal at 5am (or earlier). He also has to let the world know when he uses the litter tray, when he gets up from the boiler (he sleeps on top of the boiler) and is coming into the bedroom to settle for the night, when he wants attention (so all the time then)…. Mosi is noisy too but he isn’t as loud.

10. Forester

Are you expected to reply to each shout? I get head-butted, or nuzzled ,any time I don’t reply to whatever has been said.:D

ewelsh likes this.
  11. urbantigers

Oh absolutely. If I don’t make a suitable response the volume escalates.

Don’t laugh at this but I swear he does this on purpose. 3 years ago I had a new kitchen and wet room put in. It’s a flat so same floor and close to each other. This involved removing ceilings in the hallway and bathroom. They put new ones up but sound is more echoey and seems louder in those areas. If I ignore Kito he goes into the bathroom to shout and I swear it’s because he knows he sounds louder in there.

He was in a cattery whilst the work above was carried out and was housed next door to a Siamese who screamed the place down when anyone entered. Once Kito settled in, he joined her in singing the song of their people and I felt incredibly sorry for the cattery staff.

12. Forester

I’ve just sprayed my iPad with coffee!:D

ewelsh likes this.
  13. urbantigers

Forester and ewelsh like this.
  14. I have a Abyssinian and he is fine when he’s left alone so long as I leave him with plenty of toys and food he’s ok they love their owners and follow them everywhere but they are also ok with playing on their own Freddie will happily play for hours with his springs and cat nip toys doing laps of my flat zooming through his tunnel leaping through his cat tent then onto the cat tree before pouncing on a toy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice