Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Query about sporadic limping in my dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Westie2014, May 8, 2017.

1. Westie2014

Westie2014 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

My westie (she is 2 and a half) limps on her back right leg on and off, she can be ok for a few days then she limps again.

Once she gets walking on it she is fine its normally happens after she has been laid down for a while and its like her leg is trying to wake up.

I have checked the leg and paw pad over and can find nothing wrong, I have gently squeezed her leg to see if I could find anything wrong and she is in no visible signs of pain she just lays there while i did it.

Could this be a simple muscle strain or a dead leg maybe? anyone had this experience before?

Many Thanks in advance

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Intermittent lameness can mean all sorts of things.....how long has this been going on for? and have you been to the vets about it? the usual recommendation for any dog with intermittent lameness is a period of rest and/or a low dose of anti inflammatories. If that doesn't work then it's usually a case of further testing, eg x-rays, to see if anything is amiss.

3. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

You need to get her checked over by a vet as it could be any number of things ranging from arthritis to a cruciate ligament problem to a dislocating patella or nothing at all.

4. Westie2014

Westie2014 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for replying,

Not taken her to the Vet but I am going to this week if she continues to be intermittent with it.

This started just over a week ago, then went away after a few days, then she has just started doing it again over the weekend just gone, she was ok again this morning walking normally but i have made sure she is going to be resting a for a few days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice