Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Queen's Swan Found Cooked Near Windsor Castle

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lisa0307, Aug 21, 2013.

1. lisa0307

lisa0307 PetForums VIP

2. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

There's some sick feckers about! :mad: Hope the scum that did it get caught.

3. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

probably the same lot that were found netting pidgeons in Trafalgar square to eat

whats the issue here, the fact they were killing a swan to eat, would a duck have aroused the attention of the press?

her maj has the right of ownership of any unmarked swan on certain parts of the thames

#3 Colliebarmy, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  4. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

You shouldn't cook any whole bird, tear the meat off and leave the remains there for everyone to see! I'd be just as mortified if it was a duck.

5. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

I think its just the fact that a wild bird has been cooked, its feathers left on parts of it ripped off and eaten in full view of children and the general public. Even little ones know if a bird has that many white feathers its a swan, at least if it had been plucked parents could pass it off as a really big chicken :lol: Id be just as devastated if it was a mallard or anything else, doubly so if it was a ruddy duck, I have a soft spot for them.

6. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Surely it's illegal to hunt and kill the Swans without permission and I'm sure it's the same for the ducks?
    Therefore it is wrong that this happened.
    Yes it has had a bigger reaction because of the royal link but also that a small duck may of been un-noticed
    My kids were bought up to understand where food comes from, they understood hunting and farming - but we'd of still been shocked to of come across this.

7. Colliebarmy

The Queen doesnt own all swans, she has the RIGHT to claim any UNMARKED swans only on certain sections of the river Thames

if the swan was killed and cooked by someone starving (literally) is that ok or not?

may HRH could donate a few swans, she doesnt need them does she

8. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I'm not disputing that if people are starving they need to eat then personally I have no issue with someone taking what they need to survive and I know the swans don't in reality belong to the queen
    I was answering the question why it had hit the press and generated so much interest
    It would of shocked me to come across such a thing, but I'd like to think I'd of explained the situation to my family with empathy

9. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

She doesn`t even like swans I have heard

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I've always wondered what swan tastes like. Seems stupid that no-one except the Queen is allowed to eat them; I'm sure other countries are allowed to do so, in limited amounts. It's not like they are a species limited only to Britain, or endangered.

Saying that, I'd not go out of my way to kill one. And I'd never be so stupid as to cook and eat it there and then. Roadkill.... well....

11. rose

rose PetForums VIP

So.......if a hungry person ate one of your pets, that would be ok?

12. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Er, whilst in some ways it could be distressing for some people to find the carcass of a swan, like another poster has said if this was a duck there would not be as much hoo-har about it. It's not illegal as such, and this stems back to yonks (centuries ago) about the mythology of swans and them being linked to royalty I.e. they were something royalty had cooked to impress important guests. However I have been informed by those in the know that resorted to eating these birds during WWII tha swan is only eaten out of necessaty as the meat tends to be oily and tough.

13. bird

bird PetForums VIP

No it wouldn't, but then we are based in Western Europe where sensibilies over 'pets' are entirely different than those of eastern Asia ;)

Centuries ago even the Vikings that settled Greenland were reduced to eating their dogs toward the end, and by all accounts they were devoted to their dogs.

14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

The Queen's pets? are you serious?

Hahaha... that's the best reason that could ever be.
    Legally, if an unmarked swan was hit by a car in front of you and killed, there's no reason why you can't take it home and eat it, same as pheasants and ducks and pigeons, rabbits and deer. Whether you'd want to is a separate argument; whether you'd be so stupid as to try and cook it on public land is yet another.

15. tonytibbs

tonytibbs Banned

Horrific. I bet it was polish or eastern europeans that did this. Polish were doing that to swans where I live. :'(

16. bordie

bordie PetForums VIP

dont like then not very tasty and a bit tough rather have a duck:D

17. Colliebarmy

silly reply but not unexpected

my pets dont live wild and walk around open spaces.....

if you (or your family) hadnt eaten for days and nice plump juicy swan waddled by would you be tempted?

what if the swan was found dead and then cooked?

18. Colliebarmy

Roadkill laws say you cant take it if you hit it, but the car behind can

19. rose

rose PetForums VIP

No but some peoples cats walk about freely and get tortured and killed by people just for a laugh. Dogs gets stolen for fighting bait, is that ok as well?? I dont know any english people that would take swan and eat it, they are usually eastern european, they also take all the fish from the rivers that english people just catch and weigh and return to the water.
    Why do they think they have the right to do it? There are hardly any tigers left in the wild because of people who think its their right to take anything they want until that species is extinct. :mad:

20. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I dont have an issue with somebody killing and eating a swan. I dont care what animals people eat as long as that animal isnt endangered and was killed humanely. Swans are hardly in short supply.

I do have issue with those who come here from other countries and think they can disregard our laws and our cultures. Just because it may be ok to do a certain something in their country does not automatically make it ok to do here in the UK.

I also dont agree that the remains of this swan was left in view of the public. I have a friend who came across the remains of Canada Geese in a farmers field. The geese had been butchered and had just their breasts removed and the rest left to rot where it lay. That is totally disrespectful IMO to both the animal you have killed and the farmer/public.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice