Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Queen's eating quantities ...

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Aurelia, May 6, 2010.

1. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

My girl is two days in to motherhood, but I'm slightly concerned she isn't eating enough.

She has eaten perhaps 2 sachets of wet and a generous hand full of dry food since giving birth. Is this normal?

I was just watching her have a drink from her fountain and she looks ever so scrawny. But then I have been used to seeing a big belly for weeks, so maybe it's just me?

Is there anything I can do to help encourage her?

You should know that I don't half worry too much about things, so I may just be worrying unnecessarily :lol:.

Advice/reassurance is appreciated.

Jo xxx

2. deedeedee

deedeedee PetForums Senior

Lily isn't eating much either - I have been giving her favourite, boiled white fish - also just gave her some pilchards which she ate a tiny bit of. She has eaten bit of RC babycat dried too.

As long as she has had something - just try tempting with fish/chicken etc. Lily was like this last year too:rolleyes:

How the babies getting on? we had kitten moving this morning:scared::scared: :(:(:( She is back in her box but can't leave her now. Good job I am off work!

D xx

3. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Oh that's good to know it's not uncommon at least! I'm sending Chris to get some chicken from the butchers tomorrow as we are out. That's her fav so we shall see.

Babies are doing fine. I do keep having to move Cain though, as him and Tinks keep scrapping over Rilly's back nipples. Tinks usually loses, so now and again I move him to give her a chance. They are the smallest two so I'm keeping a close eye on them. The other two are thriving! Nice full bellies and see permanently attatched to Rilly's second and third nips on which ever side she spreads out :lol: Do they usually pick a nip at the beginning and stick to it? Rilly very front two nips dont seem to have much milk, so none of them seem to be feeding from them.

4. deedeedee

deedeedee PetForums Senior

Ours are fighting over the nipples too - I 'help' them when they are squealing and getting frustrated. :eek::eek:

Think that's why Lily moved one this morning as he wouldn't stop squealing, I ended up giving him a bit of formula as he had worked himself into such a tizzy! Lily was like yeh take him and shut him up!:D they really do squabble over certain nipples don't they!:eek::eek:

I have noticed that this lot are a lot noisier than last years litter of 4 - more bods to compete with!

has your girl cleaned herself up fully? lily hasn't - she has a bit of a pink back :):)

D xx

5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Aww :D isn't it just the most awesome experience though? I am sooo tempted to do it again, but I know I just can't. Plus I think we have had such an easy time (touch wood) this time I wouldn't want to go through it again and get hit with all kids of problems.

Rilly had cleaned herself up by lunch time that day (so 12 hours later), though she is a blue/cream and your girl is lighter right? Might just be staining that will go after a while, but I'm no expert.

6. JayneC

JayneC PetForums Junior

My girl was the same when she had her kittens nearly 5 weeks ago.
    Think they must be full up for a few days with placenta:lol:
    I gave her fish and chicken.
    Also mixed tuna in with her wet food.
    Shes eating for England now:D
    Mine also went for the same boob everytime.Funny to watch when one of the others trys to pinch it:lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice