UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I saw a little cat running along the street, which - of course- ended up sitting on my doorstep. I stopped to stroke it and realised it was very small, maybe about 6 months old. I opened the door and it looked very keen to come in... so I let it in and it immediately started eating the food that was left from my boys, looking very hungry

I asked around the neighbours and nobody knows whose it is, although a few had seen it earlier today and one agreed it was too small to be out

I have put up a few posters and took it to the vet who said it has no microchip and is a SHE- probably not spayed

The vet also said I should let it back out again, maybe with a paper collar with a message asking any owner to contact me

The thing is, it is colder today, getting dark soon and if she isn't spayed there are several toms around

What would you do? At the moment she is happily curled up in the spare room with a litter tray, food and water

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad you said that, I thought maybe I was over reacting :)

The other thing is she was out the front - ie the road- most people on the street just let their cats out of their back doors, so there's the added danger of being run over

The vet said though that she would never leave if I kept her here and fed her and it would get more difficult for her to find her way home....

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
I'm glad you said that, I thought maybe I was over reacting :)

The other thing is she was out the front - ie the road- most people on the street just let their cats out of their back doors, so there's the added danger of being run over

The vet said though that she would never leave if I kept her here and fed her and it would get more difficult for her to find her way home....
Sounds to me like you would really be struggling with that..... NOT!!!!!! :w00t:

I'd wait to see if there is any response to your posters and then take it from there. Are you in a position to keep her or would you have to look at re-homing her?

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Why do people that let their cats out not microchip? you would have an address by now. Personally I would keep searching but I know I woudn´t sleep at night if I let her out again. I hope her owner turns up soon.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds to me like you would really be struggling with that..... NOT!!!!!! :w00t:

I'd wait to see if there is any response to your posters and then take it from there. Are you in a position to keep her or would you have to look at re-homing her?
Ah, I would love to, but I have two jumpy rescue cats, not sure they would like the idea, and my flat isn't really big enough either... If I can't find an owner I'd probably have her spayed and then try to find a new home (she is very cute though!! :eek: )

·
Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks
14,968 Posts
You've done the right thing in taking her in :) well done for caring :)

What is wrong with some people :confused: she's far too young to be out and not being spayed or microchipped either :( :mad: and the vet is just as bad :rolleyes:

I hope you get a response to your posters soon and this little girl has a home.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well she's definitely staying put tonight. It's freezing!
She is good as gold, curled up on some old clothes. I'll make some little notes tomorrow to put through people's doors- I've heard the council take down posters round here (and maybe fine you!!)

Thanks for helping with the decision!

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
I'd keep her in, put her on the missing cats sites, too and report her to a good cat rescue as a stray and have her given a check-up, and if nobody comes forward, I'd ask the rescue to spay and rehome her.....

Unless, by that time, she has got so comfortable with the other two you decide to keep her...
I think the rescue will agree to letting you foster her in case the owner turns up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well someone finally called me today saying his cat had been missing for 'about 5 days'. He gave a description of the cat and i think it is the same one, but when I started to say that I found her in the street, ie trying to find out whether he had let her out on purpose, he misunderstood and thought I meant that I hadn't taken her in after all, that I had just seen her in the street. I kept saying that wasn't what I meant, but started shouting at me, called me stupid and hung up on me!

I suppose that I should text him to explain or something but I am so cross with him and he sounded such an idiot! And didn't even ask where I had found her or anything. But I suppose I can't look after every cat in the world.....

NB just to clarify, she *might* be spayed- it was just that the vet couldn't tell, and I thought it was unlikely as she wasn't chipped. She didn't look badly cared for, just too young to be out and about.

Ho hum

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Don't like the sound of him I must say:( Do you think he is genuinely the owner? Surely he would have been more grateful that you found his cat:confused: Perhaps he is just worried, as TM suggests........?

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
Agreed...
I think he is worried sick and just blew a fuse at the thought that his princess was still out in the streets after all, while he was just starting to relax, knowing she was safe.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Temper/emotions can run high when you've lost a pet BUT I would not have dreamt of shouting or hanging up on someone who might have been able to help reunite me with my cat, no matter what they said or did.

His behaviour does sound odd, in your shoes I would probably text and say that you would like to reunite them if this cat is his. i would ask if their cat is still missing where she went missing from and for pictures so you can say if it looks like her or not to save wasting anymore of his time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He described her quite well, so I think he is the owner. He was just so rude and didn't let me get a word in! I was only trying to make sure he had the description right. Suppose I'll have to text him when I get home from work- have to drive for 90 minutes now

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Jeez, I wouldn't get back in touch with him after that! If he wants to phone you back and apologise for his appalling behaviour, sure, but no amount of stress excuses shouting at someone and calling him stupid. Wonder how he treats his pets if that's how he speaks to a stranger who's trying to reunite him with his cat?

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
I'm a bit paranoid after losing Treacle, but if someone said they'd 'found my cat in the street', I would be worried that they might mean found it dead!! :( He might've thought you meant that! I would definitely text him to let him know she is safe.

·
Registered
14,680 Posts
While it is certainly not nice for him to have been so rude, I would be erring on the generous side and accepting that he could have been very emotional about the loss of his cat. Easier for us to say this though as of course we did not take the ear bashing that you did.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.