Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

quality food for my collie puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by zedder, Aug 22, 2013.

1. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

Hi we have just 2 weeks ago got our new 12 week old puppy and I was doing a lot of research into diet as I know it's really important especially so for a collie as they are sensitive to rubbish.he is currently on chudleys puppy not by my choice I thought it best to keep him on the same as he was having when we got him as to not upset him but I want to move on to a better quality reasonable priced food when this bag runs out so far I have come up blank apart from arden grange which I like the sound of but am open to suggestions thanks. :)

2. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

3. Buzzard

Buzzard PetForums VIP

Yes as Goblin said introduce very slowly so as to not upset the tum. We feed our lab x springer skinners duck and rice. A good quality budget food. No horrible maize in it. Does have rice and oats though. Depends on your budget.

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

From my experience :( , it's far better to do lots of research and be happy with your choice and leave him on the Chudleys a while longer if need be while you do it. Too many changes can cause upset and getting it right in the early days is a nightmare. You learn so much as you go along.

The food indexes here are a great help and another good site that helps with comparisons is Which Dog Food.co.uk.

For me it's as few cereals and as much meat as my budget will allow and a general rule of thumb is most you buy in the supermarkets wont be v good.

Dont forget to have fun with your pup in the meantime:D

Congratulations by the way :D:D

5. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Many dry foods and wet foods are full of cheap fillers their are some good brands out their but I have to say that Raw is the best quality food it does't cost a lot infact raw is cheaper then most comercial brands and much better for the dog.

Your dog will grow up with white teeth, healthy skin and the softest fur.

Raw is easier then you may think to set up the downsider is that you will need to buy a chest freazer which can be expensive but once that bit is over you will save a fortune in food bills.

Its also fun to feed raw and you can buy some complete raw to make life easier such as Nutriment, Natural Instinct, Basils Fine Foods and Honey's.

6. BCDuke

BCDuke PetForums Junior

I feed Simpson very pleased with how my boys look great food.

7. glenm

glenm PetForums Member

As a Collie puppy owner I can highly recommend Millies Wolfheart. Sam went onto it within a couple of weeks of us getting him, and he is now 10 months old, and doing really well.
    Have a chat with them, phone or facebook, and they will let you know which of their range would be best, how much to feed etc.
    Shop GB - Millies Wolfheart gluten free dog food

Don't forget to post pics :)

8. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

thanks for the suggestions I know i'd have to mix any new food in gradually as to not upset his stomach I will research some you have suggested.

9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

You are very wise to do your research as many collies do have sensitive stomachs, food allergies/intolerance.

For what it's worth I've been feeding my collies Arden Grange for quite a number of years now, including raising the last three puppies on it.

10. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

thank's nice too hear somebody else using grange and finding it ok. so far so good with ike my dog amazing how easy it is to teach him thing's and he genuinely enjoy's learning also the only dog I've ever known to like going to the vet :eek: :D

11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Another thought would be to get a few samples once you've dwindled it down a bit. My preference within my budget was Vitalin Adult Maintenance (it's cereal free, no nasties and a good price) closely followed by Skinners duck or salmon and rice. Got samples of them all and much to my dismay, Heidi preferred Salmon Skinners. (That was a few years ago - lots more grain free's now.)

After all my kibble agonising, we've ended up with wet food:D
    She enjoys it far more:D

(You could always use dry and mix in something like Butchers tripe cans to make it more interesting/increase the meat content:D)

12. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

I don't know about feeding wet foods won't that just make him a fussy eater really would like to keep his diet stable as he already get's (some) treats although I wouldn't mind adding gravy or the like to dry to make it more appealing if you can get dog gravy :confused:

13. IncaThePup

IncaThePup PetForums VIP

We've tried several including the high meat 80/20 formula's but JJ's tummy has been best so far on James Wellbeloved Ocean Fish & veg (cereal free).

He seems to do best with low protein and very few ingredients in the kibble. I wondered if its how kibble are made as he's not so sensitive with fresh ingredients for example he was fine on fresh rice (with chicken) when vet recommended it after an upset tummy and has had naturediet wet with a small amount of rice in..also nature's menu pouches.

I try to give him a grain free wet too though I find many are a very sloppy consistency..best one I've found so far is Forthglade (grain free range.

He's had raw chicken and lamb and been fine too but beef seems to make him itchy and hyper!

14. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

I've ordered a few samples just to have a look and will go through the ingredient lists although i'm happy as long as he'll eat it to go for a big bag or would getting 6kg bags of two different flavours be better.

15. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

If you fancy adding a bit of wet, the economy of bigger bags would prob be best and variety can come from the wet. Dont think it would make him fussy, they're crafty but if you mix the wet with some water to like a gravy consistency, then add the kibble so it's all coated it shouldn't be a problem.

For me, if a dog prefers wet food then that's what I'd want to give them. If cost was an issue, then I would bulk it out a bit with some kibble.:D

16. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Well I've owned and trained collies for well over 35 years now and I've never had a fussy eater....LOL

Seriously they do seem to like Arden Grange and I always soak it in warm water to bring out the flavour.

As Mum2Heidi has already said you could add some wet of your choice.

17. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

fair enough then he's having to have chudleys grueled which stinks also lol so makes no odds too me giving some wet stuff also with a different food probably gonna order some arden grange then see how he gets on with it with the guidance given.

18. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

sorry to keep asking but I've seen skinners food is getting decent reviews anybody have any experience with it it's a bit cheaper but if it's rubbish I won't bother thank's for all the help I am appreciative and paying attention to all the input.

19. henry

henry PetForums VIP

The two varieties of Skinners which people on here find the best are the Field & Trial Salmon and Rice and the Field & Trial Duck and Rice. These are better quality than the rest of the range, especially for sensitive dogs.

Having said that, the Arden Grange is very good too. Perhaps ask for samples of the F&T salmon and duck and some AG samples and see what you and your dog prefer.

Personally I'd go with Arden Grange but everyone has different views, obviously.

20. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

ok I have emailed arden grange and skinners feel a bit cheeky mooching free food of them but I will be ordering whichever turns out best hopefully they get back too me soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice