UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned the other day that I have a couple of new little cats. Gypsy (mum) is around 10 months and Kiera is just over 10 weeks.

So far today between them they've eaten four pouches of Felix (I know but this is what they were on and I plan to change them over to hi life or natures menu when I'm off work next week) a tin of Applaws, half a pouch of hi life and two handfuls of Royal Canin. Is this normal??? It seems a lot, Rosie used to eat two pouches a day and maybe have a nibble at some biscuits. They were both a bit skinny when I got them so I don't mind them over eating a bit at the moment but I wouldn't want it to continue too long. Fat cats aren't healthy! They're due to be wormed at the end of the week and they have a health check then as well. Both of them are fine and lively.

I'm not exactly sure who is eating how much as kitten obviously doesn't eat a lot in one go but she is eating regularly and gaining weight. Quite often I have to pick her up and take her to her food bowl but she's more than happy to eat once she gets there. I think the rest of the world's so exciting she just forgets she has to eat as well :)

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I shouldnt worry too much yet. Kiera is very much a growing baby and so needs all the nutrition she can get. Gypsy is still recovering her condition after having babies so young, she too is still growing (and most certainly would have been when she was made to go through pregnancy) so she will need some extra nutrition now she is finished feeding. If keira is still sneaking the occasional feed at the milk bar too she will need even more to support lactation.

Give mum a couple more months on extra rations and you should find that her appetite appeases as she regains condition and finishes her own development. Kiera will need extra rations for a while yet.

·
Registered
14,680 Posts
I hear what you are saying about a kitten being too excited to remember to eat....Mitzy prefers her ping pong balls and toys to food most of the time! I would urge you to move away from the Whiskas etc though...if only for the litter tray side of things. Mitzy was on whiskas when I picked her up...that first night she did 6 stinky sloppy poops in the tray...and I do mean stinky. Now she is on Bozita and raw she produces one solid little poop with pretty much no odour.;)

·
Banned
3,404 Posts
I hear what you are saying about a kitten being too excited to remember to eat....Mitzy prefers her ping pong balls and toys to food most of the time!
All too familair to me too. "We're having such a ball with that rolled up piece of foil/toy mouse/clothes peg/empty cardboard box, we just can't be bothered eating".

When I have kittens like this, I put them in my bathroom for 10-15 minutes at feeding times ... nothing else goes in with them except their food, their water and their litter tray. My bathroom is pretty borning though.... no extra stimulation in there for them (providing I have remembered to put the lid down on the toilet, lol, otherwise they have water-parties)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys - I guess I'll just keep feeding them up. I most certainly intend to get them on something better than Felix in the near future!

Just a word about Gypsy - she might be a young mum but she's certainly a good one! She adores her baby, cleans her plays with her, puts up with her leaping on her when she's asleep! She even goes and tells her off when she sees her doing something she's not supposed to like scratching furniture or chewing wires. Kiera loves her and follows her everywhere, it's really cute! I do wish Kiera would stop doing death defying leaps though. I'm sure kittens can fly! I'm trying to leave her to learn and not intervene unless she's doing something really dangerous but sometimes my heart's in my mouth!

·
Banned
3,404 Posts
Just a word about Gypsy - she might be a young mum but she's certainly a good one! She adores her baby, cleans her plays with her, puts up with her leaping on her when she's asleep! She even goes and tells her off when she sees her doing something she's not supposed to like scratching furniture or chewing wires. Kiera loves her and follows her everywhere, it's really cute! I do wish Kiera would stop doing death defying leaps though. I'm sure kittens can fly! I'm trying to leave her to learn and not intervene unless she's doing something really dangerous but sometimes my heart's in my mouth!
I wish I could read more threads like that on here!! Well done Gypsy!!

And yes, when we get kittens they should come with a packet of valium taped to their backs! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.