Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pyometra

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by sootisox, Aug 17, 2009.

1. sootisox

sootisox PetForums Senior

What a nightmare THAT turned out to be! Sally was taken to the vets at teatime on Friday at 65 days pregnant after producing some cream coloured discharge. It didn't appear to be "normal" although there were no nasty smells with it ... gut feeling more than anything else that something wasn't right.

We arrived at the vets and Sally was checked, her temperature was normal and the vet was in the process of giving us the "go home and wait for imminent babies" talk when Sally produced a little more discharge. She called in another vet who decided to scan before doing anything else. The scan showed live kittens - but only just. The heartbeats were very weak, more irregular flutters than strong healthy beats so they rushed poor Sally in for a c.section. We asked if they could spay Sally at the same time - we couldn't put her through this again!

Sally gave birth to 5 very sickly babies, the vet had 5 assistants in with her each working on a kitten for over 20 minutes. We were told that the kittens probably wouldn't make it and Sally's life was in danger also.

4 hours and a lifetimes worth of worry later - Sally was stable and the vets let us take Sally and the kittens home but warned us again that the kittens probably wouldn't survive the night. Sally was amazing - the c.section hadn't seemed to worry her at all and she was perfectly content lying back whilst we spent hours trying to get the babies to latch on and feed ... the babies were extremely weak and very sleepy after Sally's anaestetic but one by one, they all seemed to pick up and feed.

One baby, a little girl, sadly didn't seem to recover from the effects of the anaestetic and infection and passed away at 1am - she was so much smaller than her brothers and sisters and had borne the brunt of the infection being covered in pus in the uterus. RIP baby girl.

So far, Sally and the babies seem to be doing well - the babies are now on antibiotic drops to counteract any infection from their not so ideal start, but they're slowly putting on weight (ie, one kitten was 1.02 at birth and 1.10 today). The vets are astounded that the kittens have survived this long and we are quietly optimistic that things will be ok. Please send "get well soon" vibes to Sally and her babies!

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Wow - lucky you took her in then! Sending MASSES of get well soon vibes yoiur way - hoping they all pull through now. Any pics?

3. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

What a nightmare!

Positive vibes to the little ones and RIP little girl.

4. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

Oh my goodness what trauma you have all been through and what a very determined and strong pussycat you've got there!!

I am sorry for the little girl that you lost but thrilled for the surviving babies you must all be doing a great job with them.

Sending you lots of healing vibes {{{{{{{{{{{{Healing vibes}}}}}}}}}}}:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Keep us updated!

5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

aww get well and strong little ones

6. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

You were so lucky that you went with your gut instinct. I'm sorry to hear about the little one - sleep well girly, but am wishing all the best for all of Sally's other kittens and for her.

Keeping all fingers & paws crossed for you here.

7. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

I'm so pleased that Sally and the kittens seem to be making a good recovery and I'm sorry to hear about the little one you lost.

Thank you for posting on this issue. It's a good reminder to all of us to be vigalent and trust our instincts where our girls are involved. xx

8. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about the wee girl. Really hope Sally and her babies are ok.

9. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

well done for following your instincts, im so worried about something like this happening. i am sending all the positive vibes your way. so sorry for the one you lost.

did they spay her as well? does that not affect her milk? or is that ok whilst they suckle.

10. sootisox

Thanks for all your good wishes. Mum and babies seem fine this morning, Sally seems content and the incision site is looking ok with no redness etc and the babies all appear active and fighting each other at the milkbar.

We asked if the vets could spay her if possible and tbh, I think they would've suggested it to us had we not asked first. At the moment, Sally seems to have enough milk and the babies are gaining weight albeit slowly. When she had the c.section and spay, nobody expected live kittens so fingers crossed the experience doesn't effect her milk supply.

I promise i'll take some photos of them when I feel they're a little stronger - at the moment they're all in the isolation room just off of the kittening room and we're reluctant to disturb Sally or give her anything else to fret over. It's still a very delicate situation and at the moment I feel they just need peace and quiet ... although i'm dying to go in and fuss over them all lol.

The whole experience has left me feeling very nervous for my other girl who is due her first litter on the 6th September ... i'm praying for a straightforward, easy delivery with healthy kitten/s.

11. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

It shouldn't affect her milk supply. I'd say if the babies are vigorous so far you must be in with a fairly good chance. Do keep us updated, won't you.

Liz

12. sootisox

I will indeed keep you all updated! I feel incredibly lucky that it was caught on time and that we didn't lose Sally. I didn't think for one second on the way to the vets that she had Pyometra - just knew that something wasn't quite right. I'm still shocked at how quickly things progressed - you can imagine my reaction when I took our "very pregnant but not quite right - could be early labour?" cat to see the vet and was told that she may not survive another hour! She didn't even present with a temperature!

This litter was always going to be her last and we'd planned to have her spayed when the kittens were weaned - fate had other plans! This is her 3rd litter so we felt she'd "done her time" and was ready to retire as a beautiful lap cat (ours or my mother-in-laws).

13. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

What a trauma, poor you :(
    Sending lots of positive vibes to you and your little ones x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice