Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pyometra (womb infection)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cookiesmum, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Cookiesmum

Cookiesmum PetForums Newbie

We took her to the vets yesterday afternoon who confirmed she is in season and the vet has advised us to have 2 injections just in case the male dog ejaculated inside her even a little.
    The thing that is worrying us now however is Pyometra (womb infection) which apparantly is more chance of happening if given these injections.
    Has anyone had any experience with this?
    What are the odds of her getting the infection against being pregnant?
    Help!!
    Feel torn and very upset that I might be putting her in danger.

2. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

Sorry can't help but have you googled to see what the internet says?

Pyometra is something that bitches can get, I wasn't aware that the mismate jab could cause it - was the vet telling you this and suggesting you get her spayed to prevent it?

A lot of vets are keen to spay bitches very early on, yo uneed to research the pro's and cons and then decide when you are ready for her to be done and not under pressure from your vet. If you aren't going to breed from her then yes you should probably have it done when you feel it is the right time.

3. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hiya,
    I have first hand experience with Pyometra,my bitch nearly died as a result of it and she had never been given the mismate jab.
    All entire bitches are at risk of developing Pyometra,however they are also at risk of complications and dying through whelping,I would definatly go with the mismate jab and keep a close eye on your bitch.Which ever way you look at it your bitch could be in danger,I have no idea how many bitches develop Pyo after the mismate jab.
    There is a sticky in the health section about Pyometra.

Not all bitches display symptoms,my bitch didn't apart from been depressed and off her food,She was admitted to the vets at 8.30am on the Sat Morning,put straight on an IV Drip and bloods and a scan were done to confirm it was Pyo,they then spayed her as an emergency,our vet said another 24 hours and we would have lost her.

I would have the jab and then get her spayed about two to three months afterwards.
    Good Luck.

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

it is quite true that any or the hormone treatments to supress seasons or abort a pregnancy do make the bitch more prone to pyometra but the slight risk of that is far outweighed by the risk of unwanted puppies. I assume you will be getting your bitch spayed anyway after this season so it shouldnt be a problem.

5. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i agree with the above posts & have the mis-mate jab if i were you, just keep a very close eye on her until shes spayed, if she is in pup whelping also carries a risk to a bitch (my bitch had to have an emergency ceasarian)plus you will have puppies to find homes for.

6. mickyb

mickyb PetForums Senior

My dog Bess had Pyometra (womb infection) which nearly killed her, the vet said from 1 to 3 days and they could die, so I had her spayed. she went onto 16 years of age.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice