Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Pyometra - recovery questions

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by charholden, Jul 11, 2018.

1. charholden

charholden PetForums Newbie

Hi, I just signed up here to ask if anyone has experience with a dog who has Pyometra??

My 11 year old Spaniel was taken to the vets on Monday afternoon after becoming somewhat unresponsive. Had no idea what was wrong with her but she was diagnosed with an open pyometra and sent for emergency surgery which took place around 5am Tuesday morning.

I went to see her at the vets last night around 7pm and she was very sleepy but her tail wagged when she saw me and my dad who had got there earlier said although she seemed completely out of it she did get out of the cage and do a little walk up and down with him.

She is a normally very lively dog so I feel really worried and she was so sleepy last night and they kept her in again. They also said in the early hours this morning that she hasnt eaten anything yet so today we will take some food she likes when we visit her. She has drunk water, but I feel so worried about her being so woozy and not eating.

Can anyone tell me what their experience was like with post Pyometra surgery?

thanks so much x

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

some dogs like some humans cope with anaesthesia better then others, and some will come round a lot quicker then others.
    It also may depend how late in the day she had the operation. Its not unusual for dogs to be sleepy the night of the operation/anaesthesia, some wont eat at all some may only pick a bit, and I have had others that eat normally after anaesthesia over the years. It sounds like the vet owning to the condition, nature of the emergency operation, and the fact she wasn't fully recovered from the anaesthesia may well be just being cautious and wants to monitor for a bit longer then usual. You may well find shes a lot better today now that the anaesthesia and other drugs have left the system more.

Lurcherlad and leashedForLife like this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

My dachshund had surgery for metritis last year at 14 y.o. It wasn't a dire emergency as she hadn't got full blown pyo at that point , just the start of it so it was nipped in the bud before it fully developed as the vet was sure it would. She came home the same evening, ate, drank and was walked outside for a wee. Next morning she was a bit stiff and sore but within a couple if days you wouldn't have known she'd had surgery ! We were amazed by her recovery.
    I hope your girl feels better soon.

4. leashedForLife

When i had outpatient surgery with GA [to put my broken nose back where it belonged, which necessitated breaking it again!... :confused: . The bones had begun to heal in their new, wrong configuration, over the intervening week ], it took a solid week for me to feel myself.
    I was told by my chiropractor that general anaesthesia shuts-down the adrenal glands, which along with flooding us with alarm in moments of great danger, have an everyday purpose in helping regulate waking periods & alertness. I felt very stoopid & literally heavy, especially the 1st 48-hours.
    My appetite was way down, & i drank more water than usual, too.

When she comes home, be VERY careful that she doesn't jump around or stand on her hind legs - U don't want stitches to strain or pop.
    She will need to stay on the floor, on all 4s, & be ON A LEASH for 10 days, possibly longer - depending upon how she heals; 10-days post surgery for abdominal sutures is the standard, if she should pop stitches, get an infection, etc, it could be 2-weeks or more.

A cone-collar AKA Elizabethan collar is important; a onesie as a second barrier, to check for drainage & the color of fluids, is even better. A white onesie will let U see yellow [blood serum, small amounts in the 1st 2 days are normal], pink [blood-tinged, *not* normal - phone the vet immediately], & bright red [definitely not normal! - straight to the vet, day or night].

the incision should be
    flat, clean, & dry; very minimal drainage after the 1st 24-hours, no angry red color, no puffy pink swelling around or between the sutures.

- terry

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice