Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pygmy mice?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Colette, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I'm fascinated by the tiny wee things.... we got some at uni shortly before I left and I fell in love. Would love to keep some at some point, although it won't be any time soon.

Just wondering if anyone on here keeps them or knows much about them?

What would be the best housing? Obviously a solid tank of some sort rather than a cage - the exo terras seem popular but I wonder if a converted RUB would work like you see used for hammies.

I'm just curious so any info or pics much appreciated :)

2. Crittery

Crittery PetForums Member

I've had a few litters of pygmy mice, I've got a video somewhere I need to edit of them growing up :)

They are lovely teeny things - I used a standard tank with very fine meshed lid although as you say, Exo-terras are good. As long as small enough mesh was used I guess a RUB would be okay for them.

They biggest problem with them is if you lose one - they aren't big enough to set off humane mouse traps. When you clean them out it is best to do so in a bath or somewhere they can't escape, and you can't really handle them because you could cause internal injuries.

They are very easy to keep otherwise, simple enough seed mix to make up and virtually odourless. I just furnished their tank with various branches and wooden items. I have pics on my website.

I'm currently after some normal/agouti ones because I had blues :)

3. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Ah... that makes sense... its your website I've been exploring all week! (Should have guessed by your username, I didn't even notice the link).

The hands-free thing doesn't bother me - I love rodents because they're so great to watch. (When I lived at home my family nicknamed my normal mice "mouse-vision" because everyone ended up watching them rather than the telly).

I am a bit obsessed with rodents, especially mice of all sorts, although I've only kept fancy mice myself. We had a few of the more exotic species at uni - spinies and zebra, then the pygmies. Quite like the look of the multis too although I've never had much to do with them.

Its the meshing issue that confounds me to be honest.... presumably whatever they're housed in (tank or tub) they would need a mesh lid for ventilation?

Most of the tanks I've looked at just have the basic plastic lid which I would be worried wouldn't provide enough ventilation? Is it difficult to make a mesh lid or do they actually come with them?

I love the look of exo terras and figured they should be good but my god are they expensive at the bigger sizes!
    I thought about RUBs as I figured it would be so much easier (ie lighter) to clean them out - especially having to carry it to the bath. I kept my chinese hamster in a glass tank and it was a bugger to clean....

So, in terms of cage size - a 10-20 gallon tank is about 30x60 or 30x90cm is that about right?
    The RUBs I was eyeing up were either the 60x37cm or the 71x54cm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice