UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how to proceed now with Zaza. She is fit and healthy in all respects except that she has been to stud on three occasions, once to a cattery in Northampton and twice to a cattery in Frome. She has not fallen pregnant. Zaza is now two years old and still hasn't had a litter. What to do? Would you try one more time or give up and spay her?

The first breeder gave her two days and called me to take her home. The second breeder, whose study boy is really lovely and gave Zaza plenty of settling in time, sent me a text regularly and kept me up to date with matings.

What would you do? Any advice please?

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
i agree, 2 days at stud really isnt long enough, maybe your girl came out of season.
if you know when she will net be in season take her to stud afew days before then i would ideally think at least a week with the male, mated over 3 days.
what breed is your queen and i hope you are using a proven stud used to maidens.
if after another try with witnessed matings she fails to get pregnant then i would neuter.:)

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hi Rita, nice to see you on here, sorry to hear Zaza still hasn't taken after 3 attempts.
I personally would spay her, it doesn't seem like she is going to produce unfortunately, you have taken her to some good Breeders too haven't you?...seems like litte Zaza just isn't cut out to be a mummy.It must be upsetting for you. Hugz to you and Zaza.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. It sometimes helps put one's thoughts into perspective when others give their opinions. Most of you have confirmed my doubts to some extent. I felt that perhaps 24 hours at the first breeder (I could only free myself on the second day) is not sufficient as proof of the situation. The second breeder in Frome is very experienced and her stud is an experienced male who has a very persuasive way with queens of all ages. He is still siring litters at the age of 12 and is fully fit. In fact, he recently spent time with a queen of Zaza's age, who went on to produce a litter of seven babies and that was after Zaza's visit so he is a good male. :)

I feel that perhaps I shall get her scanned and put on a period of antib's then wait until her next call and take her along to the stud one more time. If after that she still produces no babies, then I shall decide to spay her. If that happens, I shall stop breeding for a long time and probably close my website.

Anyway - we shall see what happens next in a month - Zaza has long periods between calls: typically five to six weeks. She has been calling over the past few days and I did not take her to stud on this occasion because of my doubts.

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
2 days isn't long enough at all, many will take that long to settle and begin to call again.

She mated with the other stud but didn't fall pregnant? If they mated many times over several days and that happened on 2 different occasions I'd be fertility testing her or just giving her more time.

I know a 5 year old girl who just had her first litter, didn't call too often and never took with all the matings she had. On her final try it happened. Depends how important her line is to you I suppose.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Spotty Cats. That is encouraging. The lady in Northampton didn't want any stud fee because she told me there had not been a mating - I believe she was honest. The lady in Frome was much more patient in allowing Zaza plenty of time to settle on both occasions. However, I shall take her to a younger male next time. :)

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
That's great she didn't charge a stud fee, my contracts have always been two live kittens born or free repeat mating (with the same stud).

Perhaps she'd be more comfortable living along side the stud? Or staying with the breeder for several weeks if possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.