Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Putting weight on

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Premier Pet Care, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Premier Pet Care

Premier Pet Care PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone just wondered if anyone could advise me on how to get weight onto my rottweiler

She is just 2 yrs old and neutered and has always been on the slim side she is also very tiny she weighs just 26kg - she recently had to have surgery on her back leg due to ligament damage in both back legs although one of them has not yet been operated on and im hoping wont need to be.

Since the op she has lost 2kg in weight and is now looking very slim - i was wondering if anyone could give me a list of foods which i could give her to help her gain weight thank you x

2. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Don't think in terms of pure weight.

Think in terms of Body tone is better.

Muscle weighs more (denser) than pure fat.

So a nice meaty diet and progressive exercise as the injury is recovered from.

Walking up gentle hills rather than long distance treks.

Tripe is a good body building food.

3. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

If she was neutered very young, like under 12 months of age, chances are she will never fully mature size wise and fill out in the chest and ribs area.

To get some weight on try this, works a treat on my big boys, who have proved difficult in the past to get weight on without feeding ridiculous amounts of food!

Firstly, know this: Milk as you buy it, is not a good food for dogs. In fact it is bad for them. It's all to do with the lactose it contains. The following is the best you can do, or to feed plain (natural) Bio yoghurt. Clabbered milk is sometimes called Buttermilk, but it is right to say that clabbered milk is a more crude and inexpensive product, easily made by you at home. It is excellent for putting condition onto and i~= a dog. The fats are completely broken down and utilised. You will see a real shine, with depth to it come into the coat. Be warmed though, too much and your dog will get grossly overweight if fed too much. Personally, I never feed it more than once a week, unless it is to a nursing bitch or puppies.
    Like other milk foods such as Bio yoghurt, it is said to have worm removing properties. Let's hope that one day that can be proven.
    Here is my way to make clabbered milk, quickly and easily.
    Take a two, or four-pint carton of milk, full cream or semi skimmed. (You must decide if your dog can take the extra fat - probably not with the way that so many dogs seem to be overweight these days rather than lean, which is the way they would survive and thrive in the wild). Remove about a cup of milk for your own use and to give you the air room needed when you come to shake it up. Shake it hard for about ten seconds and leave it in a warm place like a sunny window or by an Aga to literally, go off. Ideally, do this three times a day (remove the top to let the air out after each shaking - and don't forget to put it back!) After as little as 3 or 4 days in warm weather (Summer) a little longer, say about 5 or 6 days if the weather is colder (Winter) it will have become a thick fluid a little like yoghurt and it will smell fresh, yet a touch cheesy. This is the wonderful stuff that is clabbered milk. If you forget to shake it, or you let it go on longer you will, quite simply, end up with curds and whey. You can still feed it to your dog, but give it a good shake to mix them. It may just separate into curds and whey again, when left.

I presume you are taling about cruciate ligaments?? Rotts are very prone to cruciate injury. Even after surgery I'd be looking at keeping the dog on lean side anyway, at least for anything up to 12 months after surgery - you dont wanna be putting extra strain on those legs.

4. Premier Pet Care

hiya
    thanks alot for your replies i dont want to make her fat just want her too look healthier than she does now and yes she was neutered at 6 months

I will definatley give it a go and see how she gets on thanks alot

5. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

How about Hydro thats great at getting muscle back on after an op & safe :)

6. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Do you have any pics of her, pref one from the side and one from above?

7. unicorn

unicorn PetForums Member

Hi there
    I personally think , if she had ligament problems/ damage in both legs already it will be better to keep her slim if she is not drastically underweight !
    every Gramm more on her will put more strain on the legs/ ligaments ,try to build up her muscles instead of weight.

8. Premier Pet Care

i do have pictures of her but not sure how to upload them

9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Puppy milk??

Not sure with dogs but if we had horses on the yard that needed to gain a bit we used to give them foal milk with good results;):D

10. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I will try this with my whippet Tegan as she has lost quite a bit of weight recently. She is an older dog though and she is eating just not keeping weight on very well since the weather went cold and frosty the other week. Do you give it all in one go instead of a meal or do you add it to their normal food?

12. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

I dont suppose it matters how and when you give it. sometimes I add it to dinner and sometimes I give it as a seperate drink. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice