Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Putting weight on a queen

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by sootisox, Jun 30, 2010.

1. sootisox

sootisox PetForums Senior

I have a girl here, had a litter in February and was a fantastic mum. She started calling at 8 weeks post delivery and has continued every 4 weeks since. She is now losing condition. I'd love to have another litter from her but at the moment, the vet refuses to consider ovarid (she had a pyo last year). My concern is that I'll either have to spay her, or let her get pregnant again. I wanted to wait (for her benefit) a little longer before letting her get pregnant again. Ideally I'd like her to be carrying a little bit more condition before I contemplate either. I'm worried that if she keeps calling, she'll end up with pyo again. It's a vicious circle! She's up to date with wormers and vacs, currently has 2 sachets wet kitten food, tuna in oil and free access to RC36

What would you do in this situation?

Any tips on helping her gain weight?

Many thanks!

2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Steak mince is good as is Pollock (fish) (you may know that :D) from Lidl from £4.99 per bag and you get around 6/7 pieces. Misty loves this, it's the only thing she could eat when she had TF and he weight gain was fantastic.

With Poppy it's steak mince, but and yes I know I should not moan but it's £7.65 for a pound and half from the butcher. That only does like...a day (Misty/Cassie like it too)!

When poppy was eating this after the kittens she kept her weight and even looked like she should get a personal trainer (like the stars do) to lose a few pounds of pregnancy weight.

3. 2flowers

2flowers PetForums Member

Hi,

I have been told be several breeders that rabbit mince is fantastic for building them back up. In fact, when I visited one breeders house, I couldn't believe the size and condition of her girls who had just had big litters, all down to the rabbit mince! I feed mine that now at least once a day in addition to their other food. One packet of rabbit mince feeds mum and 6 kittens easily.....fantastic value and great nutrition! :)

#3 2flowers, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. becbec31

becbec31 PetForums Member

hi i had a similar problem with one of my girls last year. No Pyo but she had a small litter and called from them being 10days old onwards. It definitely affected her weight gain and was beside myself worrying. Someone on here advised me that her calls may settle down into a more normal pattern and perhaps slow down slightly and luckily for me they did. I fed her on white fish (get mine from sainsburys or asda roughly £2 for 8 pieces Frozen) My girl wont eat raw I tried it and she wouldnt entertain it so i steam it or oven cook it with a little olive oil (also good for weight gain and glossy coats) I also tried raw mince (steak mince, lamb mince pork mince NO NO NO) so i carried on with the cooked white fish and cooked chicken with white rice, and fed her her usual favourite dry food. Royal Canin kitten 36 and she gradually gained weight. She also loves Feline Fayre Tuna food which is really high in fish content and you can get it at Asda.
    Basically find something she really likes and stick with that whilst trying to introduce new things which are high in protein/meat, it does help but it is a slow process with some girls I ahve found as long as she is eating she will be ok. Does your vet think she is underweight? To be honest my vet likes them skinny! Much skinnier than i like my babies :eek:

She had her litter in September last year and has just had her second litter 2 weeks ago. She is doing a great job.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

xx

5. sootisox

sootisox PetForums Senior

Thanks for your input guys! She had some white fish last night and picked at first, decided she liked it and wolfed the rest. I'll try getting hold of some rabbit mince and try that too. I've also got some RC convalecense packet granuals - tried these and she won't touch them when mixed as per instructions on the packet. I may try mixing them with some wet food as they are (dry powder/granuals). I'll let you know how we get on!

6. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

I've heared that whole minced rabbits are a good option for building girls back up. But where would you get it from? Would the ones made for working dog consumption be OK?

7. 2flowers

2flowers PetForums Member

I get mine from a gamekeeper in Tonbridge, Kent, not sure how far that is from you?
    They were recommended to me by another breeder. However, they don't deliver......so it means an 2 hour round trip for us to collect. Luckily we have a freezer for the cats and buy 50 sticks at a time and that lasts a couple of months. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice