Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Putting my babies to bed,what do you think?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by almost40, Aug 30, 2013.

1. almost40

almost40 PetForums Member

When I first got my two kittens almost a year ago,I did the keeping them seperate from my older two cats. I kept them in the kitchen,its huge and warm and they had plenty of space to play and explore. Once they were all friends,I still kept them in the kitchen to sleep so the older cats had peace at night and we could all sleep.
    Now fast forward a year, and they still sleep in the kitchen.They have a bed each,their litter tray and food and water plus space for toys should they wake early. If I dont put them to bed by 11.30pm they take themselves. They cause no trouble or noise and dont wake us up.I think its great they have their own space and they're happy but a friend just told me she thinks Im cruel locking them away. She thinks they should have the run of the house even though they are happy going off to bed and never play up to go.
    After all,we put children to bed in a room with a closed door but do you think Im being cruel?

2. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

No, of course you aren't cruel! Everyone has different ways that their kittys sleep at night. If you are happy and the cats are happy...its a win win! Why change a winning formula!? :)

3. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

I don't think it's cruel at all if its not broken dont fix it :D

4. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

Whisper is 2 now and still goes to bed in our office where she has always gone from a kitten. She has everything she needs in there and as soon as I start getting ready to go up to bed she is there waiting for her bedtime snack. She sleeps all night and often when I get up and open her door she stays in bed till she's ready. The other 2 are put in the kitchen at night but they have a cat flap so can go out if they wish. There is nothing cruel about putting your kittens into the kitchen if they are happy with it.

5. Azriel391

Azriel391 PetForums VIP

Not at all , I really wanted my boys to cuddle up with me at night but after 3 nights of Beausie on kitten zoom juice doing circuits of my bedroom sleep had to come first so they were tucked up in the lounge with toys, treats and beds and we all had a good nights sleep. Wise words above if it ain't broke...... :)

6. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Of course you're not being cruel.

If they're happy that's all that matters :)

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

You are not being cruel but extremely sensible.:thumbup1: It is good to get cats used to being on their own at night from a young age, in their own room. It encourages a bit of self-reliance and independence, in a good way.:)

8. Craftymamma

Craftymamma PetForums Member

NO I certainly do not think you are being cruel, they certainly seem very happy with the bedtime routine. We have two 6 month kittens and a one 16 month old. We also put our kittens in the kitchen as our daughter freaks out if her bedroom door is closed and the kittens had us all awake at night when we did not put them in the kitchen one night. Like yours they have food, bed, litter trays, and toys and also access to the playroom with a human bed in also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice