Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Putting a mouse down, need advice.

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Katheryn_28211, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Katheryn_28211

Katheryn_28211 PetForums Newbie

One of my mice that was re-homed to me, Stormy(she), one of my fancy mice has been dealing with a big growth on her side for a couple of weeks now. She has been doing well until recently, as I noticed she was shaky with breathing and hunched over, not looking very well anymore. One of her eyes are half-lidded and she does not move around as much anymore. I was looking around on where she could get euthanized affordably but humanely, only offer we have is that we could put her down for 100.00us, something I do not currently have. I will be checking to see if animal control will do it for cheaper, but they are closed Sundays so we have to wait a day unfortunately. I was wondering if there are any human medications we could give to her that would put her to sleep peacefully without any side effects or problems that could occur, for example we thought about Alprazolam, which eases nerves and makes humans sleepy. I just don't want to give her something that will make her suffer more, but I also don't want her to have to suffer through another 24 hours. I don't have the stomach to put her out of her misery, if you know what I mean- so I'm at a dead end here.

Kind regards, and thank you.

(Note: I am located in the USA, this was the best form I could find though, so some options or advice might not be available to me)

#1 Katheryn_28211, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

As far as I am aware, it is illegal to attempt to euthanise any animal. It should be done by a qualified vet.

noushka05 and Wild With Roxi like this.
  3. Katheryn_28211

Katheryn_28211 PetForums Newbie

I should of looked into that, of course I would of looked into it before I would of done it but I was to concerned to right now, thank you!

4. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

Are there any emergency vets you can get to?

noushka05 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice