Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Putting 2 females together?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sophiesmum, Jun 24, 2009.

1. sophiesmum

sophiesmum PetForums Newbie

Hi, am just wondering if anyone would mix two bitches together? I am going to look at a 2 yr old English Springer Spaniel bitch in the hope to give Sophie some company. Sophie is nearly a year and a half year old. I plan to bring her with us to meet the other bitch tomorrow night but would really appreciate some advice.

Gillian

2. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I have multiple girls although it is not without problems and it's been far from easy.

Why not go for a puppy/older dog of the opposite sex?

3. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

ive not had much problem with my girls, one is a puppy of the older one, they still have that mummy daughter relationship, its really sweet, they do however get a bit tetchy when one is in season but no real probs. They still snuggle up together at night and the girl even helped out mum with her new babies, really sweet.

4. sophiesmum

I've been looking for a male Springer but having no luck and would love to get Sophie some company. Can I ask, what sort of problems have you had?

5. sophiesmum

Awh! that is really lovely.

6. sophiesmum

Thank you Sephrenia for your reply (love the name by the way).

7. sophiesmum

Even though I live close to Belfast, I havent been into town in ages.

8. dallylover

dallylover PetForums Junior

hi i have 2 bitches together and have had 3 before we lost one a few years ago- they get on fine always cuddle up together whatever time of day and groom each other and of course play (-there is a year between them by the way )and infact i am getting another bitch in 2 months time :D:D

my mum has 5 bitches together :eek: and they get on brilliantly and always have done - so my advice is they will be fine together but of course with everything there are always exceptions :smilewinkgrin:

good luck with whatever you decide;)

9. Nicci

Nicci Guest

We've had a few spats along the way which we expected with the breeds we own, both are old girls now but they still can't be trusted without constant supervision.

Things have calmed down an awful lot now with time lots of training and patience and probably because they are old and really can't be bothered, but sometimes I have honestly wondered why I put up with what we did, a lot of folk wouldn't.

Would I do it all over again, no probably not.

10. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I had two bitches who were the worst of enemies and best of friends. The fights were nasty and came without warning (no posturing or growling etc) and even though I knew what the main flashpoints were - access to me, food, toys, over excitement, I could never predict exactly when, where or why it would kick off.

On the other hand, there are thousands of people who have bitches together without problems, but personally, I won't go there again.

11. sophiesmum

Hi, you have given me so much to think about. I will take them both out for a wee walk tonight and see how it goes but obviously my main concern is how my son gets on with her.

12. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

If your a "gambler" then go for it:D i say this as i think its just that a gamble o what is goibg to happen.

We got our first springer (male) lovely dog when his parents had another litter we wanted one so got another male some people were horrified and heard stories of the disasters of having same sex dogs, either 2males or 2females, but i have tosay we had no problems whatsoever they were inseperable whether it was because they were brothers and they were both very young when they met i dont know, but i never regretted it. The first one died a year ago and we know have a 11month old pup(female) our other is now 9yrs in a few months and there has been more squabbles, (nothing major at all) than the 2 same sex that could be an age thing i dont know.

so to be honest if you go for the same sex just be prepared.

13. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

We have several bitches. Admittedly Tegan is Amber's mum and Angel's granny so they are quite close but we had both Freyja and Button as older bitches. Tegan is a very dominant bitch she is top dog and as long as the others respect that we have no problem Freyja is submissive. Button also knows better than to argue with Tegan. Tegan has had my male greyhound on the floor screaming because he looked at her in the wrong tone of voice lol. He is a wuss and he only has to think I'm getting the claw cutters out and her screams:rolleyes:

As some one else has said biitches can have very nasty fights were 2 males will fight then 5 minutes later curl up together bitches don't they remember the fight and will carry it on. I know of people who have had to rehome a bitch because they haven't got on.

If you are carefull how you introduce them they should be fine but remember just because your bitch is ok on neautral territory doesn't mean she will on he own territory.

#13 Freyja, Jun 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice