Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puttin 2 guinea pigs together

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Peppa, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Peppa

Peppa PetForums Junior

We have had a guinea pig (Fudge) now for a few weeks and has his new c&c cage, hes only little and has plenty of room so we thought we wud get him a little friend so today bought another male one and put them in together, at first they both wentstraight into one of the little houses and seemed happy lying next to each other but a few mins ago we heard high pitched squeaking and Fudge came running out!

Im scared they are not going to get on & are going to fight now after first meeting it seemed like they liked each other? :confused:

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Putting them in together strate away would have been better on neutrel grounds ie a bath tub. If you have any vicks vapour rub apply a tiny little amount to each of there rear ends and the end of there snouts just tiny bit as may make there eyes water. This is meant to put them off the new scent and by the time the vapours have worn off they should have formed a bit of a bond. This was reccomended to me with mine from the breeder it worked a treat. Keep an eye as males from different litters dont always bond. although yours are young so its normally a bit easier. Keep a close eye in case they dont get on. iD say they should be fine once settled.

3. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

There will be a bit of bickering until they find out whos the boss. Our female still some times has a bit of disagreement with our male but its just a odd nip and alot of noise and nothing serious.

4. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Yep, they need to decide the pecking order and that will most likely involve some struggling and squeaking. Keep an eye on them to make sure there isn't any bad biting going on though, like ear nibbling and scratching.

5. Peppa

Peppa PetForums Junior

Well ive had to section the cage off down the middle to separate them i dont know if im doing the right thing or not:confused: The new one just kept chasing the Fudge around and he kept squeaking like he was frightened! :( It upset my daughter too who started crying saying she didnt want Fudge to get hurt!

Will they be happier sectioned off, they are the grid panells down the middle of the cage so they can still see each other, just dont know whether to leave them like that or get a sep. cage for the new one? :confused:

6. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Having them able to see each other without being able to fight is a good idea. I'd say try that out for awhile, a week or two, and then put them together in a neutral location to see what happens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice