Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Put our minds at rest

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Antaire, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Antaire

Antaire PetForums Junior

Hi all
    We have put a deposit down on a BSH kitten. Been doing our research for months but now our heads are a mush as we don’t know where to start as in asking what questions when we pick her up. What wet food is best, equipment, insurance, etc etc .
    Thank you

2. Rlouise

Rlouise PetForums Member

Since youve already put down a deposit i assume youve already asked the main ones and are happy that she is from a reputable breeder and has been well treated.
    When you pick her up it might be useful to know:

What food is she on?

Does she prefer wet or dry? (so you know shes got plenty of her favourite)

What is her feeding routine?

What type of litter does she use?

Is she used to being shut in a room overnight or is she used to having the run of the house 24/7?

Is she nervous or confident?

When is she next due flea treatment?

#2 Rlouise, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Antaire likes this.
  3. Antaire

Antaire PetForums Junior

Thank you . I believe she is being fed on RC dry but do plan to change this to wet.
    I never realised such a wet food market out there, any top recommendations for wet food ?

lorilu likes this.
  4. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Junior

I'm new to cats having only got 2 rescue cats just before Xmas but I'm quickly realising they can be finickity little things! I think it's trial and error to see what they like, but for what it's worth our 2 are fed a combo of raw and wet. The raw being purrform/minced chicks and homemade and the wet being various bozita/wild freedom/simpsons/lilys kitchen on rotation.

lorilu and Antaire like this.
  5. Antaire

Antaire PetForums Junior

I’m having a bad gut feeling. My wife put a deposit down , an ad on pets4homes last week.

#5 Antaire, Feb 21, 2021
  6. Rlouise

Rlouise PetForums Member

You can request a video viewing, or a socially distanced veiwing with masks and gloves

Antaire likes this.
  7. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

Are the cats registered? If so and the breeder has their own prefix you can look this up as a starting point.
    I would say that does seem very young for a breeder to ask for a deposit but the breeders on here should be able to give more insight.

Antaire likes this.
  8. Antaire

Antaire PetForums Junior

The kittens will be registered but she is not registered as a breeder if that makes sense.

9. AstroKitties

AstroKitties PetForums Junior

Mum Misty who had 3 blues and a colourpoint?

Antaire likes this.
  10. Antaire

Antaire PetForums Junior

Yes

#10 Antaire, Feb 21, 2021
  11. Antaire

Antaire PetForums Junior

Yes

#11 Antaire, Feb 21, 2021
  12. Antaire

Antaire PetForums Junior

All is fine now , it was just us being a first time internet buyer. The seller has put our minds at rest .

13. AstroKitties

We put deposit on the colourpoint girl.

It's hard to know if a breeder is genuine especially on that site as full of byb. I couldn't find her on the gccf find a breeder map but my other breeder just got a kitten from wasn't either.

I had quite a good video chat with her. She seems genuine and particularly made sure at the start that we wouldn't be able to collect her until 13 weeks as she'd had plenty enquire that wanted them at 8 weeks.

I got a text with her details and another with confirmation of deposit received. Only had a couple of photos since of them feeding from mummy cat but they are so young there's not much to share yet.

Antaire likes this.
  14. Antaire

Antaire PetForums Junior

Yes , we had a video call earlier. We have just read horror stories. We noticed your colourpoint , they all look wonderful.

15. Antaire

Antaire PetForums Junior

I think the kittens will be registered on the GCCF but she is not registered as a breeder. I believe she will have paperwork for the parents linage .

16. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

By far, the majority of GCCF breeders do not belong to the Breeder scheme so that is not a concern. I would never have even put newborn kittens up for sale let alone taken a deposit before I had met the prospective owners. So much can go wrong in those early weeks even if it does not happen often so that is a little worrying. Will the deposit be returnable if you cannot have the kitten for any reason?

As long as the parent cats are registered on the active register and the breeder of the queen is the owner, the kittens can be registered even if the breeder has not paid for a prefix. The GCCF registers the litter with an administrative prefix.

BSH need certain DNA tests to ensure they have no underlying conditions. Breeders in the UK usually use Langford labs in Bristol.

British Shorthair
    British Shorthair Autoimmune Lymphoproliferative Syndrome (ALPS) Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD)

lymorelynn and Antaire like this.
  17. AstroKitties

I was the same with our first breeder. I kinda rushed into it as kittens were going fast once adverts were put up. Had chat, paid deposit then paranoia set in.

Was all good and chatted and exchanged photos on WhatsApp but she also has a Facebook page and don't think this breeder does so be different for us this time round.

Hopefully we'll get lots of cute updates before we can go get them xx

Antaire likes this.
  18. Antaire

Antaire PetForums Junior

Yes she said she will send updates. She was very accommodating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice