Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pushchair/ Travel system recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kate_7590, Aug 22, 2013.

1. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

I keep being told I need to start buying baby things.....

I have no idea where to start and just looking at travel systems has fried my head, Im completely lost! :eek:

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

OOH have I missed an announcement, congratulations! :)

I'm afraid I have no advice as my babies are all teen/pre teen now, but I just saw your location & wanted to say we used to holiday in Meifod when I was a child, used to stay on a beautiful working sheep farm :)

3. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

Lol Thank-you, not been an announcement as such but its out there :)

We've only just moved to Meifod and LOVE it! :D

4. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

It really is personal choice, I prefer a pram. Our eldest daughter had a travel system, I didn't like it baby is laid in a fetal position, I feel a baby needs to be flat for the spine and allow baby a bit of movement.

I accept my ideas are old hat so I bought a Silver Cross Sleepover linear chasis for when we looked after him.

Our youngest daughter wanted the Sliver Cross Sleepover for our granddaught but she preferred the Classic Chasis.

The girls are actually my step daughters, their mum bought the oldest daughter her Travel System, I have to add it was a really good system, and once he was out of the car seat the pushchair was fabulous. I bought our youngest the Silver Cross with all the accessories.

When our eldest daughter had our second grandson, I let her have the pram I bought. I bought her all the accessories (moses basket linen and hood which came out after I bought mine) and a new mattress.

The Sleep over converts from a moses basket and stand, to a pram, and then a pushchair and it will also change into a high chair. I positioned the pram body to the pushchair seat and clipped it onto the moses basket stand.

I think if you cut me down the middle is will say Silver Cross. I told you I'm an old fashioned gran. :D

5. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

I would avoid ones like Graco and other cheap plastic ones . Keep a eye on the weight of them , some start getting really heavy and take up the whole of the boot, even on my Zafria :scared:

Congratulations, how far along are you ? There is a bumps thread here http://www.petforums.co.uk/general-chat/197518-bump-buddies-pregnancy-progress.html they may be able to help with advice, my youngest is 5 now and the buggies have changed in those years :lol:

I will say i had this one once my DD was a little older , brilliant for of road walks with the dogs Nipper 360 Single

6. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

sskmick- I like the silver cross ones but they seem a little expensive and the one in the link below seems to be similar, plus baby can lay flat in the carrycot add-on, which I really like. Is that the sort of thing you meant?

Oh no- Pointermum, I have read reviews online and found this one and thought YES! But now you've said avoid I'm having second thoughts lol

Buy your Graco Evo Travel Set - Charcoal from Kiddicare Travel Systems| Online baby shop | Nursery Equipment

Im not very far along...15weeks +2 today, I didnt intend to start buying anything until after 20 weeks, but alot of people are encouraging me to start now :eek:

7. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

Congratulations :) There is so much choice out there that you might find it easier to set your budget and then start your search. I went through a few prams with my two but my hands down favourite was my Bugaboo Chameleon (had a Bee for a while but hated that). My friend has a Nipper 360 which is a real pleasure to push, but if you think you might want more than one child then maybe a Phil and Teds style travel system would be a good option for you?

#7 Aurelie, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  8. Pixie2010

Pixie2010 PetForums Senior

Chicco do quite a few, but have a look at the Kiddicare website. They have a wide range at all price points. I have used them a lot for my grandson and have always been impressed. Also look at what you really need. If you will mainly be using public transport weight and size is important, likewise fitting in a car boot!

9. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

They may have improved since my daughters day, not so plastic fantastic. If you do any off road walking i would say a 3 wheeler with proper tyres are the best.

10. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

I do like the look and idea of the nipper 360, but do I need to buy the carrycot separate to be able to use it with a newborn? :confused:
    It might be a better idea for when s/he is a little older perhaps.

11. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

No you can lay it flat and use it with the newborn cushion with a head hugger http://www.outnabout.com/accessories/newborn-support.asp

12. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

I did have the quinny zapp before the 360 nipper as i wanted one i could put the car seat on and also parent facing for when she was tiny, sold that and got the nipper for dog walking and a cheap Mclarren stroller for town and holidays as it was really light.

I could of easily been one of the mad buggy mothers but my hubs kept me in check, 3 really isn't that many over 4 years, trust me ;) My sister is on buggy number 5 and her son isn't even a year yet :scared:

13. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Congratulations to you both.

The system in the link is exactly what I mean but a modern version. I just prefer baby to lay flat, not sure which way they should lay these days side, tummy with head turned.

I would start buying bits and peices now. I picked up packs of wet wipes and a pack of disposable nappies, every week with our weekly shop, and bought little sets (neuteral colours) for 7lb to 9lb for our daughters. I didn't buy many about 4 set in total with matching booties. I did buy quite a few sleepsuits, and bodysuits.

When I had my son, what a mother I had :rolleyes: 24 terry nappies complete with nappy san. three vests, three night gowns, three baby grows, 101 matinee coats, and dozens of pram sets all hand knitted. My mum said you only need three one on, one in the wash and one in the drawer - in practice what about the wet one that took days to dry BC (before central heating). Mum's aren't always right ;)

14. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

Quinny buzz defo!!:thumbup:

15. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

16. we love bsh's

17. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

Me too but the next one will 100% be our last and i want a burst of colour lol

18. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

I was given a second hand britax travel system but didn't like it, as you say, I didn't like her being in the 'car seat' longer than necessary. My mum got a second hand icandy travel system from my cousin and it had a carry cot which was much better (it wouldn't fit in my car or I would have had it here), I still use it now - with the 'buggy' seat, I like that you can have her facing backwards or forwards.

When she was 3 months old I bought a mamas and papas pushchair which is suitable from birth as it lies flat but can also have a travel seat which I'd prefer on this model for a young baby as it only faces one way.

If I had the money I'd like to get the bugaboo donkey.

19. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

I had the capri blue quinny and when you took the seat bit off and sat it on the wheel part in the boot it got marks on and then a pink Mclaren where the wheels hit the hood when folded which meant it got filthy :rolleyes: I do still like the colourful ones though :eek:

20. we love bsh's

i agree they look lovely but for how long :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice