Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Purina One?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by TheBadgerCat, May 1, 2017.

1. TheBadgerCat

TheBadgerCat PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I'm new here!

My cat is almost 4, indoor only and incredibly picky. He's currently on Purina One but I keep hearing that it is junk food for cats even if it's on the higher end of the junk.

Ive tried him on various 'advanced nutrition' brands (grain free, high protein, chicken breast etc), but he was generally sick after every meal. The only food he hasn't been sick on is pro-plan for sensitive stomachs, but on this he was hungry ALL the time to the point that he was howling for food and easily eating double portions a day.

I got purina one because it was the best cat food in the supermarket when we'd run out of food once, but actually he kept most meals down and was only occasionally sick so I stuck with it.

He's on dry because he will only pick at the good bits of wet food, generally licking off the jelly and leaving the meat/fish! He won't eat anything I cook (though I can't blame him for that!!) and an occasional tinned tuna treat is the only wet food he'll eat (and keep down).

I should add that he's not ill, he's only ever sick at mealtimes, his fur is thick and shiny and he's not lethargic or sickly. He doesn't seem distressed by vomiting and will immediately continue bounding round the house or even eating again.

So, is purina one really as bad as I've read, and if so is he better on junk food that stays in his belly than 'good' food that makes him sick? Or is there another advanced brand that might suit him better?

Thanks!

2. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

It is one of the junky dries, however it does have the minerals etc that a cat does need.

Personally I would continue with the wet food, as it means he is getting some extra fluids, as the reason just dry can be bad for cats is that they are generally poor drinkers, so even a 'good' drinker is unlikely to drink enough to be well hydrated. Then with a food like purina one there are risks of obesity, diabetes etc as they are quite carb heavy.

Does he eat quite quickly? That can sometimes cause vomiting at meal times. What are his poos like where consistency is concerned? When he was on other foods that make him vomit regularly what were his stools like?

Torin. likes this.
  3. TheBadgerCat

TheBadgerCat PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

The only wet food he'll eat is tinned fish, which I only give him occasionally mixed in with his dry because of mercury and the lack of all the nutrients he needs. Other than that he'll only lick off the jelly and leave the expensive meaty bit. :(
    I've tried giving him bits of cooked chicken and salmon but he just flicks them around for a while and then hides then somewhere to rot and stink out the house.

So. It's dried food only! He's pretty good at drinking and will usually help himself to my water as well if it's left unattended.

He does eat quickly, but is mostly fine with purina no matter how quickly he eats. He has normal poos, and goes like clockwork a little while after eating. Same with the better foods. The only difference I see in him is the puking.

I don't want to feed him crappy food, but equally it can't be good for him to be sick after every meal either!
    I was told the pro plan is low protein which was probably why he was so hungry on it. Any recommendations for sensitive brands which are also filling..?

4. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

It can be really hard to get a cat off dry and onto wet. You could switch him on to a better quality grain free dry food but do it very gradually and mix it with his current brand. Do this over several days. Orijen, nutram and canagan are better brands.

Cats get their moisture from their food so dry doesnt do this. Consider using a water fountain to encourage drinking.

If you want your cat to eat wet, avoid free feeding dry and offer wet at each meal time instead

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice