Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pure Breed/Pedigree vs Mixed Breed

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Maximus, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Maximus

Maximus PetForums Newbie

Just basically wanted to know what tends be the most wild and hardest to train out of a pedigree dog and a mixed breed dog one, or is there even a difference.?

2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Huskies are a challenge because theyre not a subservient breed, they are very intelligent & idependant & know whe you cant enforce commands, they get very bored with repetative commands so all training has to be made very interesting for them:)

3. davehyde

davehyde Banned

not much differenve eally of you do it right.

but as stated some breeds do seem to need other methods as they can be very willful.

bulldogs for instace are true couch spuds if ya let 'em. wont do anything if they can help it lol.

4. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

welcome....................to the forum................... i've no idea.

5. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

I would say weimeraners are pretty headstrong would not say they are "wild" though. I find a lot of people dont quite know what they are gertting themselves into with a a weimeraner, I love them to bits and was brought up with them but they need someone who knows what they are doing, they are far to clever for their own good ;) I would agree with noushka about huskys and also would say malamutes are very similar. Have you got a breed in mind?

6. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Our Lakeland x JR is the hardest dog to "get through to" :D that we have ever had, just when we think its all going great i am sure he thinks "lol lol i tricked you ", but things are getting better its been a long haul and hes only just over 2 yrs old,

7. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

Are the most intelligent dogs the hardest to train? Or the most thick-headed?? :p

8. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

To be honest I personally think that it depends on how eager the dog is to please. My Vizsla is very intelligent and they are well know for it, she was very easy to train as all she wanted to do was please me. My staff cross is also intelligent and he picks up on stuff very quickly but he is not worried about pleasing us so much, its more what he can get out of the training, i.e food :( English bull terriers are well known for not being that intelligent ( sorry bully lovers) and I suppose it is harder to train a dog that does not understand what it is supposed to do. My Dad had weimaraners and they are very intelligent and his most dominant ( who ended up going hunting and very obedient) would sometimes look as if she were deciding whether my dad was worthy of her doing what he was requesting, very funny to watch, very frustrating to train lol. So basically it depends on the individual dog, you can get differences in all breeds the same as you can in humans, if you get 2 clever parents it does not mean the child will be clever, and its the same with dogs, you can by a clever breed but you may get the daft one lol

9. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I would say bassets are nearly impossible to train and huskies especially. Some breeds were just bred to be very independant and therefore just look at you when you tell them to sit.

10. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

With mixed breeds, it depends on the mix. You can't just say "Yes all mixed breeds are easy to train" or "no they're all thick" because it depends very much on the breeds in the dog's mix, the personality of the parents and the personality of the dog.

Some pedigree breeds can be more difficult - however again, this doesn't apply to every single dog. Someone might own one of the more 'difficult' breeds, but find they trained it extremely easily, or vice versa - they coulda bought an 'easy' breed to train and be having an absoloute nightmare with it!

I think it's just the luck of the draw really :)

11. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

I think it's all down to techniqe used & how well you bond with the dog etc...

12. clueless

clueless Banned

IMO Any Breed or Crossbreed can be difficult if you do not put the work in from the start

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice