Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pups ears GSD

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by debsalive, May 2, 2011.

1. debsalive

debsalive PetForums Newbie

Hi I am new to the site so hello to everyone, Ihave 3 long haired gsd,s 2 pure black and 1 black sable, all sisters but from two different litters, the pup is almost 11 months old and still ears not properly up any advice please or will they never come up

2. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

Sorry no advice but welcome to the forum!

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum, I think if his ears are not up at 11 months they may never go up, althogh I think gsds with floppy ears are really cute:eek:. I got Bella at 7 months and her ears were already fully up, Henricks ears went up between 3 and 4 months which I think is about average.

4. JayLib

JayLib PetForums Member

Hey and welcome to the forum!

We're just just days away from picking up our gsd puppy at the weekend and so have been doing HUGE amounts of research.

Apparently it can take up to 12 months for their ears to come up - if they are not up by then I remember reading somewhere that you can go and see the vet who can splint them - but there is no guarantee and I'm not sure how comfortable it would be for your pup! It also said about massaging the ear base to try and stimulate the muscle growth....

I think they look quite cute with floopy ears though too and I'm not aware that they suffer any health/hearing impedements as a result of them not going up.

Am sure that someone who knows FAR more about this than me though will be along and confirm and offer more advice!

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I know with Westies you can tape their ears if they don't stand up on their own, but unless you're planning on showing the dog I don't know why you would want to. As others have said I think dogs are cute with floppy ears so if it was me I'd just accept it :)

6. debsalive

thanks for advice she is beautiful as she is, i cant show her with floppy ears but can still love my little chunk x

7. debsalive

to all who sent advice on my gsd dogs ears thank you , this seems a very friendly and informative site

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice