UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok all day i have said i will be rehoming a dog but my friend (my roomate)said she was thinking of breeding mitzie (our dog)anyway so next time shes in heat we are going to see if the people up the road that have a cairn terrier will let them (whats a word i can use ...) Mate(by the way my dog is a west highland terrier)Can any one tell me the suppiles i would need (when shes giving birth)and the signs of pregnacey

also do you think the puppies would be cute? im just wondering :thumbup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
i'm getting a west highland terrier and they are stunning dogs so why would you want to mix breed it? I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with cross breeds but why do you want to do it? xx

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
ok all day i have said i will be rehoming a dog but my friend (my roomate)said she was thinking of breeding mitzie (our dog)anyway so next time shes in heat we are going to see if the people up the road that have a cairn terrier will let them (whats a word i can use ...) Mate(by the way my dog is a west highland terrier)Can any one tell me the suppiles i would need (when shes giving birth)and the signs of pregnacey

also do you think the puppies would be cute? im just wondering :thumbup:
Why breed her? :huh: Can you afford a caesarian section if things go wrong? Can you afford the time to handrear a litter should the dam be unable to feed them? What if the dam dies? What if the puppies die? It happens. Can you cope with that thought? Why deliberately crossbreed just for 'cute' puppies? Of course the puppies will be cute, as all puppies are. Get saving up in a bank account just in case though eh? You are online - do a Google for 'breeding a bitch' and start researching and learning before you undertake the responsibility of putting more dogs into the world.;) Thousands of dogs in rescues are dying every year because there aren't enough good homes. Can you afford the time, space and money should a new owner or two not be able to keep your puppies forever?

·
Registered
457 Posts
tbh i know nothing about breeding myself.. but i think its something that shouldn't be taken so lightly... its clear to me you know nothing about it... not trying to be harsh.. but why are you breeding your dog with a completely different breed where there could be health problems/complications... also have you thought of the cost involving rearing the pups, health checks.. rehoming...?

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
i'm getting a west highland terrier and they are stunning dogs so why would you want to mix breed it? I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with cross breeds but why do you want to do it? xx
people cross breed for a number of reasons. Maybe the bitch isn't KC reg? I have nothing against cross breeds anyway at all but i do think its a bit silly coming on a pet forum and broadcasting that your thinking about doing so.

·
Registered
111 Posts
people cross breed for a number of reasons. Maybe the bitch isn't KC reg? I have nothing against cross breeds anyway at all but i do think its a bit silly coming on a pet forum and broadcasting that your thinking about doing so.
I have nothing wrong with it either but I just don't understand why, I know some people do it to improve the breed or something but they are very different breeds.....sometimes it just seems as though its going to be a new 'labradoddle' lol xx

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
I have nothing wrong with it either but I just don't understand why, I know some people do it to improve the breed or something but they are very different breeds.....sometimes it just seems as though its going to be a new 'labradoddle' lol xx
people may do it as a cute factor maybe to start a trend.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
You know she may really just want advice we all gain advice in different ways and although i thought it a wind up at the begining, it may be that the op is going to consider breeding with her dog and if she is then where best to learn, so if we give all our advice then at least the girl can make her mind up having all the facts, positives and negatives and we can help either way be it if she breeds with her little girl or not

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I do think you need to forget breeding this season and really gen yourself up on the facts and ethics

You dont just rush in to a mateing and dont just take the first dog willing

do some research and really find out whether this is a sensible thing for you to do right now honestly your not in a good place to be mateing your dog, your lack of knowledge will put her and the pups at risk

research first :)

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.