Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy's toilet habits have changed is this normal?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Dizzydora, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Dizzydora

Dizzydora PetForums Newbie

I have a 14 month JRT who for past 6 months only goes for a poop in her own garden.In the last week she has taken to pooping on her daily walks outside.Is this normal?

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Is her waste still solid? If so, I wouldn't worry, she's clearly just decieded she'll go on walks now too! I have 2 that will only go on walks, 2 that will only go in the garden and 1 who will go whenever he heck he pleases!!

3. Dizzydora

Dizzydora PetForums Newbie

Hi yes her poop is still solid.It just seems strange for her to change her toilet habits.

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Have you changed anything within her diet- brand, feeding quantities, meal times?

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

As long as she is bright and well, and the poos are entirely normal, then I wouldnt worry at all. Most dogs do Poop on a walk.

6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Dillon will only toilet when I take him out and always in the gutter. Even a wee has to be outside on the grass verge, never in the garden.

7. JayLib

JayLib PetForums Member

Hurrah - it will be the doggie bin that smells and not your own!

Not to mention less yellow patches on the garden...

Don't worry - see it as a blessing! :smile:

8. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

I wouldn't worry, my puppy never does a wee or poo when out on walks however long we are out. I wish she would!

9. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Brig pooed a record 6 times on a long walk the other day-unbelievable! I used all my poo bags and was terrified in case the others went! It was all small, solid things, I think he was a bit nervous about being out on the streets (all on restricted exercise currently).

10. mgarr

mgarr PetForums Junior

I have a lab and his 13 weeks old its like he is peeing all the time does anyone know if this is right or should I take him to the vets.

11. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Puppies do pee alot, they have very small bladders, and if they are eating dry food (increased thirst) they will pee even more, but if you think your pup is going excessively have a word with your vet to put your mind at rest.

12. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Pups do pee often because when younger they havent got a great capacity to hold large amounts of urine, basically small pup small bladder. It does get better as they grow. They dont always recognise the need to go either when young, or get involved doing other things, and dont realise until its too late.
    Having said that, if you think it is really excessive, and especially if he is really drinking loads too, it wouldnt be a bad idea to get him checked out. They can get urinary tract infections sometimes, and that would make him pee more than he should. If it was a UTI then he would need antibiotics.
    Are you having problems with toilet training?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice