Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy's op went well

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Winniethepoodle, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Winniethepoodle

Winniethepoodle PetForums Member

Winnie had her spay and hernia operation yesterday through keyhole surgery. It all went well and she was very sleepy yesterday. Trying to get her to take it easy this morning but she wants to carry on as normal. Not wanting her food for now but I need to give her medication with food. Would it be enough if I put it on a few treats which she is happy to eat or does it have to be a proper sized amount of food?

Ellie&cats, Gemmaa and Lurcherlad like this.
  2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Pleased the op went well. What medication is it?

3. Winniethepoodle

Metacam, I think its a pain killer.

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Glad she is OK, if you give her a few more treats so she has something in her tummy that should be fine.

I sometimes had to give Dillon a couple of Bonio's so he had something in his tummy for a the tablet in a small piece Dairylea cream cheese.

#4 Happy Paws2, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes it's a painkiller. A few treats should be OK as long as she's got something in her stomach.

Winniethepoodle likes this.
  6. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Glad the op went well :)

7. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

If she's keen and raring to go I wouldn't worry too much about the metacam. My girl was bouncing off the walls the day after her spay so I didn't give her any the idea being if it hurt a bit it may remind her to slow down.. It didn't work!

8. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

The same when we had Amber done and she open surgery from the next day till the stitches came out I was a nervous wreak trying to keep her quiet.

Jason25 likes this.
  9. Winniethepoodle

Winnie seems to have bounced back to normal really quickly although I'm still trying to get her to take things easy, but not having much luck with that. The sticky plasters over the wounds are peeling off and won't stick on anymore but it all looks nice and dry and neat. I'm keeping her covered with a suit or a baby grow cut down for a few more days just so she doesn't try biting the incisions especially at night as I have seen her try during the day without the suit on. The vet hospital sent me a photo of her while she was there and although she was bouncing around with her tail wagging when she went in she was clearly stressed. If her tongue was any longer it would have been licking the floor. Bless her!
    Winnie Rouse (1).jpg

10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Ditto - my last two were spayed (keyhole) and I didn't give them the Metacam; one is allergic to it in any case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice