Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppys night time pooing.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Kirsty-Beth Walker, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Kirsty-Beth Walker

Kirsty-Beth Walker PetForums Newbie

Hello,

We have a 14 week old puppy we've had since 11 week old. During the day he's in our kitchen and we go at lunch time to let him out ect. He seems to wee on his puppy pad and then poo on the floor (sometimes walking in it) he has the occasional accident so we tell him off and let him out giving him a treat each time he wees or poo's outside. We last let him out after midnight he has a wee and poo then goes jn his cage in the kitchen. At first he was brilliant but the past 2 weeks we've woke up at 6:30 to find hes poo'd in his cage on his bedding. Does anyone know what to do because we've tried moving the cage..leaving a light on everything and nothings working.

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

If you are teaching him to poo and wee on puppy pads when you leave him during the day then you do risk the chance that you will confuse him when he needs to go at night. If it's ok to go indoors during the day then it must be ok at night. At 14 weeks I wouldn't expect a puppy to be toilet trained as it's unlikely they are mature enough physically or mentally so i would be working on teaching him to go outside by taking him out as often as you can (and yes, rewarding him for going).

You say that you 'tell him off' for accidents which is often counterproductive as the puppy gets anxious and therefore is more likely to urinate/defficate. I tend to think if my puppy has an accident it is my fault for not remembering to take them out (so tell the humans off, not the puppy).

As puppies grow, their routine changes and so maybe look at the time of his last meal and walk and try to adjust accordingly so that he doesn't feel the need to go overnight. But with puppies it's all about waiting for them to grow up I find.

J

Lauren Hawthorn, Burrowzig and Torin. like this.
  3. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

as above,

You are totally confusing your pup... he basically has no idea what he is supposed to be doing - its up to you to teach him and if he has accidents this is on you ..not him so please dont tell him off anymore.

Remove the puppy pads altogether - you cant have your cake and eat it

you need to take him outside regularly through the a day to avoid accidents in the house altogether.. I aimed popping him outside and walking around the garden every 45 mins - 1 hour ... especially after food, play and napping.. if you see him sniffing or circling or getting a little restless pop him outside, treat immediately after (don't wait for him to come to you) his toileting outside and make a big fuss of him.

please dont tell him off for this anymore, this is very unfair and will end up being counter productive and will make him anxious and he will toilet when you are not about. If he has an accident, clean it with enzyme cleaner and carry on as nothing has happened.

With regards to night time, you need to really set an alarm and get up earlier to let him out for a toilet break, the older he gets the longer he will be able to hold this is.

Burrowzig, lorilu and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice