Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy's first holiday

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mum2Ozzy, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

We're going to holiday cottage in Flamborough for the weekend and it will be Ozzys first mini holiday. Any tips? He's almost 8 months old and fully house trained but due to obvious reasons he's not been to any other house than ours since we got him; I'm not entirely sure how he's going to behave in regards to toilet breaks. At home he just scratches the door when he needs to go and at night he sleeps in his crate without toilet breaks and we have no accidents. Also, it's going to be his first longer car journey (2hrs),I'm thinking about taking one break to let him stretch his legs and have a wee. We're obviously taking his bed, toys, food etc but I would love to hear any suggestions on how to prepare and make this easier for him x

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

A lot of dogs don't generalise well, so its probably safest (for the house!) to go back to puppy toileting basics. Out after naps, meals, play and regular intervals throughout the day, with lots of praise for going in the right place.
    Are you taking his crate too? If he's use to it anyways, it could help him settle more quickly, and keep him out of trouble at night time too.

2 hours isn't a super long time - I'd be happy doing that in a one-er with my guys :)

Oh, and have fun!!

Ellie&cats, Lurcherlad and Mum2Ozzy like this.
  3. Mum2Ozzy

Thank you, that's what I'm worried about - he might not click straight away that's it's ALL houses we don't pee inside:)

I want to take the crate, my partner thinks it won't be necessary so we're still negotiating ;)

4. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

We took our 6 month old pup on his first holiday recently. Went pretty smoothly! We just took him out whenever we thought he might need to go. And after a day he started sitting by the door to be let out when he wanted to go.
    We took his bed, which he snoozed in. But he slept on the bed with us at night and woke up a few times barking at strange noises, and then needed reassurance cuddles, so didn't mind him sleeping in with us. He doesn't sleep in our bed at home and hasn't tried since we got back.

Ellie&cats, Lurcherlad and Mum2Ozzy like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If he’s used to a crate, I’d take it.

He’s probably more likely to settle and you can be sure no accidents in the night if he wakes and you don’t.

I’d prefer the crate in with me too as it’s a strange place.

Jack has his bed in our room at home so he has it by our bed when we go away too.

Jack hates hard floors, so I take several rugs and mats with us, plus fleeces for the sofa and our own bedding in case he jumps on as he’s allowed at home.

#5 Lurcherlad, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Ellie&cats and Mum2Ozzy like this.
  6. Mum2Ozzy

Yeah I think we'll take the crate, it's collapsible so easy to transfer. I can't wait to take him to the beach!

Ellie&cats and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I think taking the crate is a good idea too. He knows it, and it will give him a safe space that smells like home. I also don’t think 2 hours is too long and you should be able to do it all in one go! Unless he gets distressed when travelling.

We took teds away for a couple of nights when we’d only had him 3 months and he settled really well actually! Better than we thought. I always take lots of blankets and towels to place over things. A few toys, a few treat toys/kongs so that if he doesn’t settle I can give him something to do.

Mum2Ozzy, Ellie&cats and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Loki went on holiday when he was a tiny dot. I took my own bedding and he kipped in with me. He had a lovely time I took him regularly to the toilet.

Mum2Ozzy likes this.
  9. Mum2Ozzy

Thank you everyone! We're all looking forward to our little break x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice