Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy worms

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by jenjen, Jan 24, 2008.

1. jenjen

jenjen PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

We got an 8 week old puppy (on monday) from a man who told us he had been wormed. After having him home for a few days we noticed that he was getting to look really bloated and his tummy was solid. So we took him to the vet (he needed his first jab anyway), and the vet said he looked ok, but gave him a worming tablet anyway, just in case. Anyway, that was yesterday afternoon, and ever since, my poor little baby has been vomiting and pooping disgusting worms. Poor puppy, he's so little and I can tell he's feeling really sick because he's shaking a lot and wimpering, but I don't know what to do to comfort him apart from give him lots of cuddles. I phoned the vet since to make sure this wasn't anything to worry about, and he said he'll be fine once the worms have passed, and to make sure he's got access to plenty of fresh water.

He still looks really bloated, if not more so than before the vet gave him the tablet. Can anyone tell me how long it might be before he's worm-free, and his little tummy is feeling better?

Thanks,

Jen.

2. jenjen

jenjen PetForums Junior

Thank you!

Sorry, I don't know the name of the worming treatment he used. The pup is a patterdale terrier. :)

3. jenjen

jenjen PetForums Junior

Thanks, I hope so, for Smidge's sake. And because the worms are revolting and make me feel dirty! :(

4. jenjen

jenjen PetForums Junior

ok, Smidgey seems to have pooped up all the worms now because I haven't seen any in the last 12 hours, but on getting up this morning, I discovered 3 little piles of mucus/blood, is this normal? He seems fine, he's back to his normal lively self. I took him outside for "weewees" just now and he was trying to poop, straining and that, but nothing happened, and then he came indoors and climbed in his bed, and I noticed little blood spots on his bed, which I assume came from his bottom because of the straining. Should I take him to the vets, or is this normal after a puppy has had worms? :(

5. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

If your not happy,take him back to the vets.
    How is he in himself?

Just to add with the worming you will need to worm again at 12 weeks, and every 3 months thereafter.

We worm ours every two weeks up till 12 weeks,then at 3 monthly intervals.

6. jenjen

jenjen PetForums Junior

He seems fine, he's a happy little pup anyway, but he seems a lot happier than he was yesterday when he was pooping all those worms.

Thanks, I'll make sure the vet worms him again at 10 weeks - he's got to have his 2nd lot of jabs then anyway.

7. jenjen

jenjen PetForums Junior

I give him a small amount of pedigree puppy food with a few small bite pedigree mixer biscuits (softened with warm water first) 3 times a day.

8. jenjen

jenjen PetForums Junior

btw he hasn't gone off his food at all, little glutton :)

9. jenjen

jenjen PetForums Junior

yes, our vets is a part time surgery, so nobody there atm, but he's going back there at 5 tonight. Better safe than sorry :eek:

10. jenjen

jenjen PetForums Junior

cool, thanks dh.dti, will do.

11. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

You may want to consider changing foods,Personally I don't like pedigree brand of food,it contains too many additives etc.....

Burns is a good all round complete food,I weaned my two onto it when they came home,we've had very little in the way of upset tums etc... heres the link, Burns food for pups

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice