Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Worming Question

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by brusta, Jun 15, 2010.

1. brusta

brusta PetForums Junior

Hi,
    We took our puppy for his first worming pills about 3-4 weeks ago (he is now 17 weeks approx). The vet has a 'walk in' centre where you just weigh the dog in reception and then the receptionist give you the required worming pills for dogs weight. The evening he took the 1 and a half pills but kept them down only a few minutes. The vet also seemed to charge quite a lot (maybe admin additional cost?). They were DRONTAL tablets and when I rang to ask the other day they suggested thats the only pills they give. The question is as follows:-
    Can i sort out the pills myself from somewhere and administer on a monthly basis etc?. I am also interested to see what may be more gentle on his stomach as the others just dont stay down. Help/advice appreciated.
    Many thanks

2. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

You can buy Drontal online, however you need to make sure you are getting the right one, and giving your pup the right amount.

We gave our pup Sherley's until she was 6 months, however others give Panacur. Not sure how many people give Drontal young, we were told Drontal from 12 months...

3. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

My vet does the same. I went last night to weigh Rupert. He's 3.2/3.3 kg (the scales kept fluctuating) and I got told he needed half a drontal tablet now, and another half in 4 weeks.

It took us ages to get him to take it, in the end the OH's mum came round as she's had plenty of dogs and got him to take it. Back of the tonge, hold mouth shut and tickle the throat.

He was fine.

4. brusta

brusta PetForums Junior

Hi all,
    Little confused by the replies; apologies.
    The vet gave him Drontal but your'e suggesting he shouldn't be on that until 12 months old?..
    Also.. he had no problem taking the pills; just was sick an hour later..
    Any further advise appreciatd please ref above.
    Thanks

5. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Hi Brusta

There is a Drontal puppy however that is in a syrup, I will have a look later I have a pack of Drontal here I buy in bulk so will have a look at the packet, if you decide to worm pup yourself you only really need to do it bi-annually :thumbup:

6. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

My vet gave me Drontal. I'm happy to give him what the vet says he can have. It was 1/4 of a packet, but now he is up to 3.4 kg he is on half a tablet. Next half is due in 4 weeks. Once that's up I'll take him back for another weigh in/wormer.

I trust my vet, to be fair. The wormer only cost me £5.

7. brusta

brusta PetForums Junior

Hi Horse & Hound
    The issue was that he kept the drontal down less than 1 hour so it doesnt agree with his tummy.. So seeking other options

8. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Try milbumax I am told this is quite a gentle one used by alot of vets now ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice