Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy won't stop nipping me and pulling my clothes. PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lindsay Cotton, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Lindsay Cotton

Lindsay Cotton PetForums Junior

I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown here. I've trained her holding a treat in my hand to teach her teeth to skin is bad. I've tried keeping still. I've tried giving her a chew toy. Ive trield yelping and jumping up. Nothing works!!! Im upstairs cryimg right now. My arms and hands are a mess

2. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

This is normal and it will stop. Read the pinned puppy thread on here for useful techniques.

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Is she a collie pup and how old is she?

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Have a baby gate up and remove yourself for a couple of minutes. Do this every time she bites and she will learn that biting gets her no attention.

Praise her the second she does what you want.

Wear jeans, long sleeves and sturdy shoes for protection.

lullabydream likes this.
  5. Lindsay Cotton

Lindsay Cotton PetForums Junior

Ok. I'll try that. I've worn long sleeves and she's made holes in them but I'd rather it be my sleeves than my arms.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I always think training manuals should come with the recommendation to dig out old clothes from your wardrobe and wear them. Still not noticed this advice but should come as standard!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Like @Lurcherlad said, as soon as teeth touch skin, walk out. This is a big game for her, an extension of the boisterous play she had with her littermates. So the second she makes contact, if you get up and walk out, she will realise that teeth on skin equals end of fun. If you do it immediately and every time, and the whole family is consistent, it shouldn't take long before she catches on.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice