Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy won’t eat but is drinking!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by YukaMyFrenchie, Jun 1, 2020.

1. YukaMyFrenchie

YukaMyFrenchie PetForums Newbie

Hi Guys

I’ve just got a 9 week french bulldog puppy called Yuka! She’s the most cutest thing in the world!!! However, she is just not eating. It’s her first day today with me in her new home. She ate her lunch at 1pm without any hassle but she hasn’t eaten anything since. She slept after she ate, and then when we woke up she just seemed so down, not interested in treats and looked sad. She does play with her toys and me though, but the energy she had for the first hours she was with me has just gone :(

I’m also very worried about her not eating. She eats raw food at the moment, but from tomorrow I’m putting her on butternut box. She is however drinking and peeing loads. She’s had her shots and been checked by the vets so she’s all healthy. Is this normal for a puppy coming into a new home? Any advice on what I should do? Help :(

Attached Files:

2. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

totally normal
    poor girl is in shock
    but shell soon come around
    what is butternut?
    Is there a reason you dont want to keep her on raw?

kimthecat likes this.
  3. YukaMyFrenchie

I do hope so! She’s been sleeping lots today, and has only had 2 meals. So hoping that she’ll be more interested in food tomorrow! No reason really, but butternut box has really good reviews and very nutritious for puppies with all natural ingredients. It’s basically tailored made food for your puppy. She’s also been recently put on raw food, I think the breeder mentioned about 4 days now? She has solid stools and sometimes loose stools and that could possibly be from the raw food?

4. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Please be very careful changing her food over as she is currently going to be stressed by being in a new home and swapping food quickly can upset their tummies, it's a little concerning that your puppies breeder changed their food just before them going to their new homes and that she has had loose stools, please keep an eye on her as little puppies can become ill very quickly.

Lurcherlad, kimthecat and Torin. like this.
  5. YukaMyFrenchie

Thank you for reply! Yes I’ll be transitioning her onto it! Just want her to have nutritious food and help with her digestion. After her first shots she got a bout of loose stools. Vets said she was all fine and they did some test to rule out anything troublesome. They did give her something for the stools and they are so much better now. This morning was solid too!
    Even better news! She has quit her hunger strike and after playing this morning she decided to eat some food. She also has her second shots on Friday. Hopefully this all keeps up!

MontyMaude likes this.
  6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Be very careful with the amount Butternut box tells you to feed when I spoke to them at Crufts and started talking to them and mentioned I would be getting a puppy they asked on average what the puppy would weigh when we picked him up I told them around 7kg and they advised me he would need 150g per day which is a tiny amount for a 7kg pup when I told them the amount seemed tiny they told me they worked the amount of food out as if he was a 7kg adult as they didn't have a feeding guide for puppies:)

kimthecat likes this.
  7. YukaMyFrenchie

Oh! Thank you for this!! My puppy weighs 2.7KG and they’ve suggested 182g a day. I will definitely be tweaking it a little! Was your pup happy with the food?

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d leave him on the raw food he’s used to for the first couple of weeks as he’s going through a big change already.

Torin., MontyMaude and Amanda Mower like this.
  9. YukaMyFrenchie

I mixed in a teeny bit of the butternut box food with her raw and she really enjoyed it. Hopefully will be a good transition. She’s had the most solid poops today as well! So things are looking good so far

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice