Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy with severe diarrhoea

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by FriendlyGinger, Jul 19, 2009.

1. FriendlyGinger

FriendlyGinger PetForums Junior

Hi All,

Need some advice - my 11 week old pup has been an unlucky girl when it comes to her health since I got her 2 weeks ago. After having a reaction to her vaccinations, she had started to return to normal but suddenly started suffering with awful diarrhoea to the point where mucus was being passed and went off her food. Visit to the vets came back with her being given an injection to settle her stomach and a not very worried vet (are they ever!?) with Kaogel liquid to be given 3 times a day. He said to feed her something bland and she should improve within 24 hours. No such luck, she is still suffering. She is eating chicken and rice and is enjoying her food, is drinking and is full of energy but her poor tummy is not happy. Anyone have any advice? She is due to go back for her second vaccination Tuesday (If the vets thinks she is well enough) but I am not sure whether to complete the liquid course and give her tummy more time before going back or make an appointment tomorrow. She looks skinny and it's breaking my heart :(

Any help would be much appreciated. I have loved this site so far and have some excellent ideas to stop her dragging herself along on my trousers!

Jane x

2. rona

rona Guest

Forget the vaccination and get her to the vets first thing in the morning or if she seems dehydrated get her there now.
    Puppies dehydrate so quickly and can become very ill, she may need to be on a drip

3. FriendlyGinger

FriendlyGinger PetForums Junior

Thanks for the quick reply. She's not too dehydrated, I have checked her at regular intervals today. She is drinking and eating so it getting fluid but it is coming out again quicker than it would normally. I will ring them in the morning anyway for advice.

4. Indie

Indie PetForums VIP

I'd definatly get her back to the vet. We no a dog that was fine in herself but always had an upset tummy it ended up to be twisted gutt. Poor little thing i hope she is ok soon xx

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sometimes drinking isnt enough to replace the fluids lost through diarrhoea, and a dog has to go on a drip.

Id get her seen by a vet ASAP. She certainly wont be well enough to vaccinate this week.

Ring your vets now for advice. A puppy as young as yours can easily die from severe diarrhoea.

6. lea007

lea007 PetForums Newbie

Hi sorry to hear about your pup. Not sure if this helps but we have had the same problem with our pup lately. For weeks her stomach was constantly upset. I tried chicken and rice among other things to try and get her stomach back to normal but to no avail.

The vet put our goldie on Hills Science Plan ID (its a prescription food - you can get it from a manor pharmacy cheaper than the vets if you have one near you) This worked a treat, its just a plain food but its suppost to help with those sort of probs. We just gave her that for a week and nothing else, no treats or anything. Her poo is now back to normal and we have now gone back onto Royal Canin her normal food and she seems fine.

Well worth a try.

7. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i agree with the others she needs to see a vet, if your not happy with the one you have go to a different one, puppies can go down hill very quickly, it might be a good idea to give a probiotic like entrodex or a natural probiotic yoghurt. Good luck with her x

8. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

The puppy may be drinking but may not be drinking enough, as it is going straight through it. Go back to your vets straight away, puppies can drop quickly. Good luck, keep us posted ok. xxxx

9. MadeleineI

MadeleineI PetForums Newbie

Why do you want to vaccinate her agian when she has already reacted badly to the first vaccine? I suggest the vaccine may also be the cause of the existing problem. I suggest you go to a holistic vet or homeopath. And put your dog on some real food - raw meat and bones.
    Best Dog Health

10. poochandmutt

poochandmutt PetForums Newbie

11. GoldenGirls

GoldenGirls PetForums Newbie

I have just gone through the same thing with my 14wk old goldie pup Evie.
    She had chronic diarrhoea for a week and became very thin,she started having spasms in her tummy like she was constantly straining this is when i rushed her to the vets. The vet told me she was a very poorly pup and she would do all she could for her! I was devasted! The vet gave her many meds and kept her in on a drip she started to improve si I collected her the following day only to have to rush her back again less than 24hrs later. The vet said she was showing signs of colitis brought on by something maybe poisonous she had eaten. more meds and a week being fed id can food every hr and im glad to say Evie is now recovering. Please dont delay in getting your pup to the vets They can very rapidly decline. A really good tip! Boil a whole chicken but add nothing else to it remove all bones and give your pup some of the chicken with the water its been boiled in (stock). A great way of getting plently of tasty fluid into them, gentle on the stomach too. Good luck!

12. totallypets

totallypets PetForums Senior

I agreed that seeing the vets again is necessary however as the chicken and rice isn't helping it may be that she is sensitive to them. Try her with white fish and potato or scrambled egg. If you poach the fish in water you can use some of this to mash into the potatoes. Make sure there aren't any bones in it.

I hope she's better soon.

13. colette85

colette85 PetForums Member

pups at that age who suffer severe diarrhoea will certainly dehydrate within a matter of less then an hour or 2, drinking water themselves just isnt enough.

i see ur getting her back into the vets again

i do hope the pup gets better soon

14. Bella Beagle Mum

Bella Beagle Mum PetForums Senior

Oh I hope you get this sorted for her soon - poor you, it must be such a worry. Such a shame that its taking away from all the fun puppy times you should be having.

I'm sorry but I agree with many of the other posters, if she were mine I would be taking her back to the vets. I would want them to see her on a regular (ideally daily) basis until she was better.:(

Sorry I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but puppies are just like human babies in many ways, they are so fragile and can go from poorly to critical so quickly.........................you wouldn't leave a baby with constant diarrhoea would you? (not meant as an accusation, just to show a point!)

I really do feel for you and your wee pup!:(

15. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

19-07-2009 is the date of the Original Post (OP). I would guess the situation is resolved ;)

16. Bella Beagle Mum

He he he - don't I feel like a fool now!:blush2: :blush2:.........................Walks off to bury head in the back garden

17. Bella Beagle Mum

On the plus side at least I no longer need to worry about the poorly pup with the squits!!!!:D :D

18. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

I think many of us have done it. Fluke I noticed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice